Custom Templates How to Load After Creating?

Hi
I created a custom template for my chapters. I saved it under templates. But I can’t understand how to load it to use it.

I went to HELP file. I describes creating, but not how to load.
Thanks.

Once you create a new project template, it will appear in the New Project panel in the category you selected when you saved it, so you just select it there and create a name for your new project and file location, the same as with other built-in templates, and a new project will be created off that template. The template should show up as soon as you’ve created it, but if you’re not seeing it, try flipping to another category and back or closing and restarting Scrivener. The template are listed alphabetically in each category, so yours might be mixed in among the standard templates.

Thanks for that information, MimetictMouton it was helpful.

Questions:

How do I create template sheets? This seems to be different. For instance, I have a chapter template that I created when I created the “project”

But now within that project, I want to create a template for chapters. The only thing I know is to right click on the main template of chapter, and duplicate it. But if I have already typed in it, I have to erase everything before duplicating.

What is the purpose of template sheets? How do I create one, and how do I load it?

Thanks
Jay Dee

There is nothing special about these items, or their usage. You’ve already figured out how to use them; just duplicate when you need a new copy and move it out to where it should go. For now it is just a demonstration of how you can set up boilerplate files, dupe them, file them, and fill them out.

So,

After playing with the system, here’s how I create a template AFTER I am already working on a project, (i.e., not creating a new project) and already have chapters in place.

I go to whatever folder I want to place the template in. Right click then click on ADD to create NEW TEXT, build my template by typing whatever I want in either the main TEXT box or the NOTES, or SYNOPSIS sections, or ALL if I want. Then I right click on it’s location in the binder to RENAME it. I click on FILE at the top of the screen to SAVE. (Which I guess saves everything in the current project).

Then, the only way I see to ISOLATE this template and place it in a SAFE, RECOVERABLE place is to scroll down to the TEMPLATE SHEETS folder in the binder. Then click on the CORKBOARD. Then go to wherever I made the template on the binder and DRAG it to the corkboard. Then it becomes a document under TEMPLATE SHEETS for safekeeping and easy recoverability.

If you don’t put it on the corkboard, and you just drag it down in the binder, it doesn’t get filed UNDER the Template Sheets folder.

That’s the way I figured it out. I couldn’t find instructions any differently.

Any comments?
Jay Dee

This looks like you’re trying to use Document Templates, a feature in the Mac version 2.0 which has not been implemented for Windows yet, and won’t be until well after 1.0 has been officially released at the end of this month.

So what you are effectively doing now is creating a set of files & folders that you will copy every time you want to create a new chapter, and then place that copy in the appropriate place. Whatever way makes it easiest for you to accomplish this copy-then-move of your chapter template is as good as any other until Document Templates are implemented. Then things get a lot less tedious.

Note that File->Save is mostly redundant. All new documents & text that you add to a project get saved automatically after a couple of seconds of idle time (where you’re not typing in a document). No need to bother with it in this particular workflow.

You are probably experiencing issues with how drag-and-drop is working in the binder currently. I don’t move files around much in the binder, so maybe others have learned a few tricks to make dragging down into your Template Sheets folder so you can avoid opening the cork board.

This will be greatly improved in the next release. The drag and drop model you see now was experimental, an attempt to improve the visibility and usability of a system that lacked precision. Pretty much the whole thing has been revamped at this point. For now though, the trick is that black dot. When you see the black dot on the icon while dragging items, wait for it to fully shrink until it disappears, and then let go of the mouse button. Now it should nest beneath the item. This whole timer notion will be dispensed with in the future as it is too confusing and unconventional.

The cue for this is the asterisk after the project name in the window titlebar. When you see an asterisk, changes are unsaved. Pause for a moment, and you’ll see it disappear—now everything you’ve done is already on the disk.

You could also just create your boilerplate files right there in the Template Sheets folder itself, rather than make them outside and then drag them in. Again, there is nothing special about this folder or anything in it. They are just normal files and folders like any other place in the Binder—so you can use all editing and outlining tools to make them. The nice thing about having a place like this in your binder for boilerplates is, like you said, it makes it easier to remember to not work in them accidentally—to always duplicate them first.

Another option, if you do create the template document somewhere outside that folder and then want to move it there, is to right-click the file in the binder and choose Move To and then select the Templates folder from there; that avoids the extra clicking and scrolling and dragging.

Re: Template sheets:

Are they truly templates per se? I.e. can I tab from one question or blank to another as in a real template, or is it just a regular text document? I notice the sample CHARACTERS template sheet allows me to tab from one fill-in section to another.

Ohhhhhhhhh! (crescendo-decrescendo). Now I see. That worked perfectly! I watched the dot shrink, and let go!!

Where is this asterisk you are referring to?

I hope so, that would be great. I really see usefulness of this feature, creating my own templates that I can tab through.

They’re just text documents, created in Scrivener. The character and scene sheets included in some of the project templates are set up with tabs, though, so to that extent it is possible to tab through them, though honestly I haven’t checked on this. It’s possible to set it up like that in any case, though, by just being specific about where you place tab stops in the ruler (Format>Show Ruler): after the last tab stop on the line, hitting Tab will just take you to the next line.

It will be in the window title bar at the top, to the right of your project name–same row where the Windows max/min and close buttons for the project window sit.

To be clear, the planned document template feature will not let you create forms that you can fill out. It will just be a nicer way of handling the whole duplication aspect. Anything you put into the doc templates folder will appear in a menu so you can create new copies of the items wherever your selection may be. No need to scroll down, find the template item, dupe it, and drag it back up. Otherwise it is just a way of duplicating normal stuff in the binder. No special fields and forms.

Too bad! :frowning:

Maybe some day, but it would take a little work to get something like that right—and easy to set up.