Cut and paste a document...

Sometimes I decide that I want to move a scene elsewhere in my novel. A lot of scrolling may be involved. It seems to me that the easy way to do what I want is to “cut” a document (that is, a short scene) and
“paste” it elsewhere, but I cannot figure out how to do this. Is there a way?

Here’s what I do now: I select it, then I slide it up or down though my novel, carefully holding it so that the scrolling will continue at the top or bottom of the list of scenes. It’s a drag (pun intended).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Have you tried copy-paste instead of cut-paste?

This isn’t a cut and paste way, but when I first started with Scrivener, I found that moving a scene the way you’re doing it often led to the scene ending up somewhere I didn’t want it to go or even disappearing somewhere I didn’t want it to go. Which left me to hunt for it and try again. I’m sure some people are better at drag and drop, but that was my experience.

For me it’s much easier to move things in the Binder using the arrows (“Move Selected Documents”) in the Toolbar. I can’t remember if they’re part of the default Toolbar in Scriv 3 or if I had to put them there by customizing the bar, but I make sure I have them. They move things up, down, left (up a step as in scene to chapter), or right (down a step as in chapter to scene).

P.S. I just looked at my current project, and it didn’t give me the ability to cut a scene in the Binder. I could copy it, but that would mean putting it where I wanted it and then going back and trashing it from the original place.

Yes, but you don’t risk having only one copy of it and not knowing where you happened to drop it. :wink:

You can select items in the binder and then use CTRL CMD and the up, down, left, and right keys to move them (if you hit a ceiling or floor level, you need to go left or right to get to the next level).

Or right click items in the binder, choose Move To, and then follow the dynamic menu to move them to where you want them to be.

Slàinte mhòr.

For moving docs to a nearby location, I use CTRL, as in JoRo’s pst.

For moving farther, I drag from Binder and drop into Outliner, after pre-scrolling both to the appropriate from and to locations. Or I leave the Binder out of it entirely, and drag from Ouliner1 to Ouliner2.

I am going to explain JoRo’s “Move To” suggestion, because it is particularly apt. But thanks for several suggestions that improved over what I was doing.

In the binder, right click on an item and select Move To. A menu of choices will appear. For the most general choice: slide the mouse to select the name of your scrivener file, then keep sliding right through the tree of items in your binder to select the chosen target location. Bingo!

I am going to explain JoRo’s “Move To” suggestion, because it is particularly apt. But thanks for several suggestions that improved over what I was doing.

In the binder, right click on an item and select Move To. A menu of choices will appear. For the most general choice: slide the mouse to select the name of your scrivener file, then keep sliding right through the tree of items in your binder to select the chosen target location. Bingo!

Hello,

thank you all for your replies.

What I did is the following:

• Editor Layout > Split Vertically

Left Editor (Outline); Right Editor (Document Mode)

• Binder Selection Effects> Right Editor Only
  • Bindes Selection> "Open non groups Items in Other (Turned OFF!)

Result: Binder has the online and selected Text becomes visible in the right editor. If I want to “drag&drop” a document within the Ouline very far somewhereelse I simply drag it into the Outline Editor. When I select a document in the Outline Editor nothing happens (open automatically in other editor is turned off) (just the way I want, because its aonly purpose is to sit there and mace dragging and dropping very easy.)

Thank you all for your help.