I thought I was going to hate styles, but no…
These are not your Microsloth Word styles, that I ended up fighting every day of my life that I used Word and eventually became more productive by just freaking ignoring them. No. These are Useful. I moved over my presets for italic, bold, and combined italic+bold, and, well…
I don’t have to force a font. I can make these things colour the text as well as styling it, which I always do because otherwise I have trouble seeing where they begin and end, even in Verdana. But most wonderful of all is the ability to put an outline around it so I freaking well know where the style ends. Woot! All my styles have gotten outlines now. Differently coloured outlines. And it won’t show up in the compiled output! My text is all over many happy blocks of colour now…
Yay! You know it probably helps that when we first started looking at what styles would look like, one of the foremost goals was to Not Be Like Word (and everything that acts like Word)—and secondly to be utterly optional to getting work done. A third goal was to make them useful for all of the compile formats Scrivener supports, not just the ones that traditionally support styles, and design them so that they fit in with the whole ethos of compiling. And I think that’s where they start to shine, when they go from being semantically focussed editing tools to something that can easily be expressed in different ways, whether it be an ePub, a Word file, or to generate a bunch of XML apparatus on the fly.
Whatever the case, I’ve always been in the same boat. I’ve liked the basic idea of stylesheets, but I’ve never liked the implementations I came across. If you’d have told me I’d be using styles ten years ago… well, I wouldn’t have thought I’d be using them to generate LaTeX documents, so there’s that.
I have to agree. I took advantage of the styles feature, which is incredibly intuitive to use, for the first time this morning.
The novel I’m working on has a lot of text and e-mail messages in it. I like to format them differently - different font, italic, indented from the normal text on both left and right with no first line indent (my normal story format has indented first lines). This makes that transparently easy. Almost effortless. If I decide to change the format, I change it once by modifying it in the editor (with out picking through endless arcane choices), select it, modify the style to be like the selection and all occurrences in the book reformat to match,
It is so much easier to use than the style monster in MS-WORD that it defies comparison.
Got to love it when that happens.
Well done folks.