Data loss/rendering issue

Hi,

I’m using Leopard 10.5.1 and Scrivener 1.1.1.

I am editing compliance SOPs for a critical work project.

I had two identical documents open, side by side, each with different names and in the same binder folder. The leftmost document was the revised/actively edited version and the righmost the original/reference version. The leftmost document is the only one I was editing.

I first highlighted text sections for potential deletions and, after reviewing them, went back through the document and started selecting highlighted sections and deleting them.

I got about 1/4 of the way through the file and could no longer edit the document (i.e. I could not select text, I could not see the cursor and I could not see most of the remainder of the document).

It looks like most of the edited document is gone. The page is simply blank for the most part, with other sections only partially visible. Attempting to drag my cursor over the document results in some rendering but what displays is corrupted. Further, clicking on a blank section of the file results in previously rendered sections disappearing.

I have no idea what’s happened. Quitting and restarted Scrivener has not helped. I cannot undo changes to get back to the proper edited version.

This project was previously updated to the new format and each change was saved up to the point of corruption.

This is actually due tomorrow… ugh…

I’m going to move to Word for now until we sort this out. Hopefully it is some temporary issue on my system and not a real bug.

The console displays dozens of messages. Two examples are below:

12/11/07 10:03:20 PM Scrivener[80993] *** NSRunStorage (0x15658ff0), _replaceElements(): replaced range {5383, 14169} extends beyond current run storage size 19551.

12/11/07 10:09:27 PM Scrivener[80993] *** NSRunStorage (0x15658ff0), _replaceElements(): replaced range {4251, 15301} extends beyond current run storage size 19551.

thanks

Deleting caches and restarting seems to have “fixed” the display problem (i.e. my text is back again).

However, selecting some highlighted text and then deleting it, results in “loss”(may just be a rendering bug) of the remainder of the document again.

I see the same ***NSRunStorage…" errors in the console again as well.

OK, this looks like it is somehow related to split views. If I view the same multipage document (not the corrupted one however) in both right and left windows and scroll the right view, the right split-view document is truncated, even though it is fully viewable in the leftmost split.

Strange…

Here are two more console entries:

12/12/07 7:17:53 AM Scrivener[323] -[NSLayoutManager _fillGlyphHoleForCharacterRange:startGlyphIndex:desiredNumberOfCharacters:] *** attempted glyph generation while textStorage is editing. It is not valid to cause the layoutManager to do glyph generation while the textStorage is editing (ie the textStorage has been sent a beginEditing message without a matching endEditing.)

12/12/07 7:17:53 AM Scrivener[323] -[NSLayoutManager _fillGlyphHoleForCharacterRange:startGlyphIndex:desiredNumberOfCharacters:] *** attempted glyph generation while textStorage is editing. It is not valid to cause the layoutManager to do glyph generation while the textStorage is editing (ie the textStorage has been sent a beginEditing message without a matching endEditing.)

Could you please send me the project with brief instructions on how to see the bug in the project to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com? This same bug was reported by someone else a while ago on 1.03 or one of the 1.10 betas, but I could never reproduce it so had to leave it be. Until I can see it for myself I cannot fix it…
Thanks,
Keith

P.S. Note that if I can reproduce it and fix it tonight, I could send you an updated version for your deadline tomorrow (provided the bug is a quick fix, of course).

Edit: I cannot get scrivener to repeat this reliably. The first time I played with the project, I had the same issues and console log entries but the second time, after opening and closing it, it worked as expected.

Hey Keith,

Thanks for the offer.
I used a previously saved version of the text and performed additional edits in Word.

I almost always prepare for some redundancy, regardless of the system.

I’ll get the info to you tonight. I’ll also try to save a movie of the actions so you can see what I’m doing.

cheers

Sorry I haven’t reported this. I couldn’t repeat it reliably, though it was repeatable. Perhaps it’s something on my end.

I don’t think it’s anything your end, because someone else has reported something similar; it’s just that no one seems able to reproduce it in any given circumstance yet. Oh well - I would be grateful if you keep a look out, though.
Thanks,
Keith