Dealing with Facing Pages

Why does Facing Pages not display correctly, with the first page being on the right where page 1 would be?

I know Scrivener isn’t WYSIWYG exactly, but this seems like it would be the proper way to display Facing Pages.

How does anyone else coming from a WYSIWYG background deal with this? I’ve tried ignoring it but part of me needs to at least see vaguely proper page formatting when I’m putting together a document, otherwise I feel like I might as well just use Pages and a mind mapping program for research.

(I’ve rewritten this comment three times now trying to not sound like I’m complaining but… I’m complaining.)

Ah… I can’t just complain without offering a suggestion.

How about, since Scrivener can export to PDF AND view PDF’s, having a “Live View” option instead of having to export and preview in Preview? Would it be possible to export to PDF INTO Scrivener so that when I export the PDF file inside the Project is where I export to?

Wouldn’t that only be a problem with the very first page of the draft? I would think that more often than not, someone would be clicking somewhere in the middle of things in the draft somewhere, and which page goes where would be quite unpredictable. This isn’t really a page layout view though—and I think you get that since you pointed that out. It doesn’t really have any awareness of the whole manuscript’s spatial properties. If you click in the middle, the page count always starts at “1” even if that is really page 298 (and thus not to be on the right).

Yeah, I don’t know. If that doesn’t ease up for you then perhaps Scrivener won’t turn out to be the best tool for you. It rather tries to eschew the Pages way of doing things, so you might always find you are running into friction with it. I wouldn’t recommend Scrivener for anything that requires a close union between content and format, and I would only tentatively suggest that someone who really prefers to have their computer screen look like their laser printer to at least give it a try, but to realise its not designed to do that and was rather made for people that don’t really want that way of working. I’d suggest trying though, as one never knows if they might have an epiphany. It certainly happened with me a long time ago. I tried an even more divorced form of content/form than this, and one day it all snapped on and I realised how much time I was wasting with stuff that had just nothing at all to do with writing—I don’t think everyone has that moment, but that is why I’d at least suggest trying, because ultimately that is where most of us came from. Word processors that look like laser printers is only a fairly recent thing in terms of what writers have used as tools. It would be difficult to say it is necessary, but on the other hand I wouldn’t want to speculate on whether it is best for everyone to use a simpler way of writing that doesn’t involve formatting. We’re all different, and at least we do now have the choice.

For a quick previews: try using Print instead, and when the print dialogue comes up, just click Preview. That’s identical to saving a PDF and viewing it in a PDF viewer—except without the mess of making a temporary preview file to look at. That’s really just an overall Mac tip. Nearly any program you can print from in the Mac has that convenience.