Dedicated Table of Contents Manager

As more self-publishing moves online, it becomes increasingly important to have a properly formatted ebook version of your work. While using Page Breaks to denote a new chapter in Scrivener works, sometimes that doesn’t work well enough. It would be great if there was a way to place markers (or through some other method) specifically where chapter breaks would go. For example, sometimes I want to put in a page break, but not have a chapter there. The last book I wrote had 100 chapters so it became quite cumbersome.

Being able to see what your TOC would look like without booting Kindle Preview or importing the epub file to your iPad would be great as well. Some sort of Live TOC Viewer.

It would be amazing if you could literally build your TOC in a separate document looking exactly how you wanted it to (I know fonts/sizes change with different platforms but it would be a good start) and then you could hyperlink to specific sections of your book.

IE: Highlight Chapter 1, right click, choose “Make Chapter” then put an invisible marker somewhere in your documents that denotes where that chapter would go. Just a thought. I’m looking forward to the next version of Scrivener.

You can already make a custom ToC if you want. Just create a list of Scrivener Links in a document, call it “Contents”, and put it wherever you wish in the draft. An easy way of doing this to select the items you wish to have included, in the Binder, and use Edit/Copy Special/Copy Documents as Scrivener Links. If you wish to change the name from “Contents” it is okay to do that—you’ll just need to change the setting that looks for a document named “Contents” in the Layout compile option pane.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question. That seems to be an excellent solution. I’ll give it a try right now. Thanks.

Great! Glad to hear it sounds like what you want. Since you can just use the editor to form the content and style of the ToC, this seems to me more intuitive and powerful than having a dedicated interface for doing so. Just note that if you do custom styling, to set the “Compile As-Is” flag in the Inspector on.

Is there a way to do this for the Windows version? I’m trying to create an eBook, both ePub and Kindle versions, and my front matter - Title Page, Dedictation Page, etc… are all showing up in the ToC - after the ToC. This would be the perfect suite if the ToC creation was a bit more accessable, and we could place the Front Matter before the ToC and manage it. Using the page breaks to mark off each item in the ToC is fine and usable - as long as we can specify which items to not include - OR - have a way to load in ‘front matter’ before the ToC so it would not show up in the ToC.

I’ve seen mention of ways to do this in the Mac version, however - none of the solutions seem to apply for the Windows version.

Thank you.

Update: I’ve created a custom ToC using the Scrivener Links ( It was hidden in plain sight. Which of course, made it impossible to find. :laughing: ) The only thing is, is that for whatever reason I am unable to find the command to tell Scrivener to use the custom ToC as opposed to creating one in addition to the one I’ve created - the Layout compile option pane which was mentioned. Any help would be appreciated, even if it is a ‘duh, its here in xxxx option’. Thanks. :slight_smile:

There isn’t an automated way of doing this yet. You need to create your ToC file as it sounds like you already have, but then after your compile to e-pub you need to use Sigil or something to replace the incorrect automatically generated ToC with your custom one. You’ll probably want to edit the software ToC as well, not just the HTML ToC (but even Scrivener for the Mac doesn’t do that—it just lets you change the visible HTML ToC).

Better control of the TOC, the ability to not generate one at all, and the ability to set the default start page at the first page of the text rather than the TOC would be big wishes for ebooks.

Has there been any word on when the Windows version Table of Contents features might be beefed up a bit? If it isn’t slated for quite some time, I would even love the simple ability to turn off the automatically generated one if at all possible. Thank you. :smiley:

The layout has changed a little since Amber V’s post, but all the same, the Custom ToC doesn’t populate in the resultant ePub as a usable (i.e., clickable) table of contents. My workaround was to create an ePub in Scrivener without the ToC, then open it up in Calibre to make a usable ToC there. Works fine for me with small documents, but I’m guessing that the original poster wants a little more automation for their large ebook.

My workaround is also not very scalable - if/when I go back to Scrivener to make a change/update, I’ll probably have to run through the entire Calbre ToC creation bit all over again.

+=1 for the enhanced ToC functionality

The original post is from 2012. If you’re using Scrivener 3, essentially nothing in this thread is applicable to you, and you should read Chapter 22 in the Scrivener 3 manual.

Katherine

While the menu command names and option locations are different now, the fundamental technique still works fine. Of course Scrivener 3 now uses ePub 3, which has more stringent requirements for how a ToC section must be structured. The chapter that Katherine refers you to above has the necessary criteria documented. If you don’t follow those rules the ebook will be invalid. As for the links not being links, well that is possible if you have the “Remove all hyperlinks” setting enabled, in the compile overview area, under General Options on the right.