Defineable keyboard shortcuts?

Hi,

Having searched the excellent help file forwards and backwards, I still haven’t managed to find out if it’s possible to define my own keyboard shortcuts in Scrivener.

The pdf file of shortcuts is a great help in figuring out what’s what, but since I will never use 80 or 90 per cent of them, I’d really appreciate the option to define my own shortcuts for the functions that I do use often. This is one of the few features I do like about W-d, incidentally.

If it’s not yet possible, please add my plea for defineable keywords to a future version!

Best,

Joey

Hi Joey, not only is this possible in Scrivener, but it is also possible in most OS X programs (anything built in Cocoa, I think).

Just go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts. Click on the “+” at the bottom, add Scrivener as the application, enter the exact title of the menu item in the text field (e.g. “New Text” or whatever) and then define your new shortcut. It seems that this is a little-known (but very powerful) feature of OS X, as I get asked this regularly.

Hope that helps.
All the best,
Keith

Thanks a lot, Keith – I didn’t even know that! You learn something every day…

Best regards,

Joey

You know, I have tried this several times with various programs – including Apple’s own, like Mail and iWork – and have never been able to get it to work. I’m not sure what’s wrong, but the shortcuts never seem to stick.

Strange - I’ve never had a problem with it. You do need to make sure you enter the menu item exactly… For instance, if you wanted to override Scrivener’s View > as Outline keyboard shortcut, you would have to enter “as Outline”. But other than that, I can’t think of a reason it wouldn’t work, unless the menus are built on the fly. (For instance, it probably wouldn’t work if you tried to apply a keyboard shortcut to Go To > Some Document, because the Go To menu is built only when it is displayed, so that it can update itself with exact documents that are currently in the binder - the keyboard shortcut system most likely wouldn’t have time to intercept at that stage. But most menu items should work fine.)

All the best,
Keith

I know! The few times I’ve really committed to trying to make it work, I’ve tried it this way and that (spaces before and after the > symbol, then without them, etc.) for hours, endlessly relaunching the program each time to see if that helped, but no dice. (This is mostly with Mail. I believe I was trying to get F1 to invoke Delete Message.) I used to use a haxie called Menu Minder that would make keyboard shortcuts automatically and that worked great, but it only worked with Tiger. The method could be a lot easier, I must say.

This is strange – I posted a reply, but it didn’t show up. Here goes again… :wink:

It doesn’t work for me either. I set Apple + 7 to affect the menu Text:Alignment:Center, taking care not to have Scrivener running at the time I was messing around with the System settings.

Now, the shortcut in the menu IS Apple + 7, but when I hit that combination on the keyboard, I still get the Inspector Document References (same as before my failed programming exercise). :unamused:

I’m still on 10.4.11 on my Macbook Pro. Maybe this works better in Leopard, but I’m not likely to shift OS in a hurry — Tiger runs much too sweetly here.

Best,

Joey

Trying to enter the wedge at all is your problem. You are trying to enter the whole menu path. No. Just enter the name of the final menu item itself. If you wanted to change the key command for a menu item which sits in a submenu, such as

View > Edit Scrivenings > All Content

What you would enter in the Sys Preferences (under the Scrivener application item) is just: All Content

–Greg

Hey, thanks! That worked. I have to say all the instructions I’ve ever encountered on this have been really confusing and seemed to be insisting that I needed to add the whole menu path.

Which is what I said here:

:slight_smile:

Joey - in your case the problem may be that the inspector pop-up button keyboard shortcut overrides the menu shortcut, so you need to choose something different. There is a hierarchy of which shortcuts get used if the same shortcut is assigned to different items… I think it goes something like: Services shortcuts get overridden by application menu shortcuts, application menu shortcuts get overridden by interface shortcuts (buttons, pop-up menus etc).

All the best,
Keith

OK, Keith, thanks again! I’ll try that tomorrow.

Best,

Joey

I didn’t mean your instructions, Keith! I’ve never needed keyboard shortcuts with Scrivener, oddly enough. I’m thinking of books and somewhere in Apple’s help menus.