Delete Upon Add

When one enters a file into a Scrivener project, the original file remains. How about a simple check box to have the original file deleted from its present location upon adding it to the file?

I find files on the internet and, for me, it is easier to download them to my scrivener folder before importing them into Scrivener itself. I then end up with two copies. As I tend to download multiple files while researching before returning to Scrivener, I end up with a lot of files. When I import them, Scrivener changes the name for its internal purposes, so I get confused as to which files I’ve imported and which still remain to be imported.

Compounding my problem, I tend to ignore files that I’ve downloaded and then imported, then I have a single clean up session later, forcing me to delve through many files so I don’t overlook a non-imported file. If I had a checkbox to delete the original file upon adding it to Scrivener, it would eliminate this problem with my lack of organization and poor workflow habits.

Please realize I’m not going to stop using Scrivener, go on a workplace rampage, or commit suicide if my suggestion is not implemented. I’m just throwing the idea out there for your programmer/committee to have another possibility to consider for the next update or release. You can consider the previous explanation as the norm on any and all suggestions I make on the “Wish List” forum board.

Best regards,
Don

That would be unusual behaviour as far as I know. I have never used a program of this nature, that allows one to import files into it, that will delete the original file off of your disk upon importing it. To me that seems very risky—what if the import does not go as intended? For example Scrivener might mistake the file for a text document and try to import it into the editor, effectively destroying the original under your plan.

I use temporary folders for stuff like this. The Downloads folder is one place that is periodically flushed (I have a script that dumps a file that has been sitting in that folder for three hours without modification), and I have an Outbox folder that operates on the same principle. These are my disposable working areas, and I never have to worry about accumulating temporary files as a result. Hazel is a good tool for this kind of task.