Deleted from Scrivener, still in Dropbox

Hi,

I’m using Scrivener syncronized with PlainText via Dropbox. This thing is fantastic!

However, I noticed something that might be a bug. First, the good part: if I create a new document in PlainText, it is recognized by Scrivener, added to a project, and correctly exported to Dropbox with a coherent name. If I delete the document from Dropbox, Scrivener regenerates it. Nothing is lost!

Then, the suspect part. If I delete a document from Scrivener, and then empty the Trash, the document still sits in Dropbox. Shouldn’t it be deleted? No particular problem to manually remove it from Dropbox, but I was wondering if this was intended or not.

Paolo

That does sound a little suspect. I cannot reproduce this when running sync intentionally, however if I just open and close the project and let it scan and sync automatically, deleted files do not register as an event worthy of syncing, so they remain in Dropbox as files until sync is run again manually. Are you just closing and opening and letting everything happen on its own?

I noticed this when opening a project in Scrivener, deleting a document with Cmd-Backspace and the Empty Trash, and then closing the project. I then open PlainText, and let it sync with Dropbox. The document I deleted is still among the shown files.

If I do a manual sync in PlainText (Settings > Dropbox > Sync all now) nothing changes: the file I deleted from Scrivener is still there.

If I execute a manual sync from Scrivener, the file is finally deleted. It appears in the Dropbox/PlainText/[ProjectName]/Trashed Files/ folder, even if it is no longer in the Trash folder of Scrivener.

Paolo

Yeah, sorry, I didn’t clarify that: I did mean a manual sync from Scrivener. Running sync from Plaintext won’t resolve this as it is unaware of the state of your project.

It sounds like your experience is the same as mine then. I’ll let Keith know of this thread and see if there is something that can be done to get deletions noted and acted upon when closing the project.

The Trashed Files folder, by the way, is just for cases like this—as it sounds like you might have touched the file in Plaintext after you deleted it from Scrivener. If nothing messes with the file before Scrivener is scheduled to delete it, then it is just silently removed—but if a file has been edited externally and then later on is scheduled to be removed by sync, it is placed into the Trashed Files folder as a safety precaution. It does this with any item that has an ID that doesn’t match up with anything in the project not in the Trash folder. It is always a good idea to review this folder when you see it pop up, as it might mean you’ve done work in stuff that isn’t actually registered in the project any more.

But like I say, this should be happening automatically in the course of normal syncing, not just manual syncing—unless there is some technical difficult with doing so.

May I safely remove this folder from Dropbox? Or do I risk to mess something?

Paolo

Yes, you can safely remove the “Trashed Files” folder - it is placed there especially so that you can delete it manually, so that Scrivener doesn’t delete anything without your express intention.

Regarding the problem with sync not kicking in when files are trashed or deleted, please try this build:

literatureandlatte.com/dlbet … rPtram.zip

Please let me know if that fixes the issue.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

It works! I created a new document in Scrivener, then closed the project to let it sync with Dropbox. The new document appeared in PlainText.

I reopened the project in Scrivener, deleted the document, trashed it. After closing the project, the deleted document disappeared from Dropbox/PlainText. It was moved to the Trashed Files folder.

May I keep this version, or can it be dangerous? I love the idea of a customized version of Scrivener all for me… :slight_smile:

Best, Paolo

Glad it works! And yes, you can keep using this one - it’s just a slightly updated version of the 2.1.1 beta, and with a few more fixes will become the official 2.1.1 in a few weeks.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith