Ok, my issue is similar to some of the other errors noted, but apparently not the same. So I’m starting a new topic on this, just to make sure I’m not intruding on a different issue.
The last time I used Scrivner was on November 5, because this issue has made it impossible to write my novel.
I’m working on my NaNoWriMo, starting late. I get to about 6100 words in one day (Sunday). At the end of the night, I compile the document so that I can copy and paste the entire text into the word counter at NaNoWriMo.org. I then find out that we can update the word count with just the number, so I didn’t need to do that. I leave the compiled document anyways, as a nice back up. Thank luck I did.
I return to my novel real early Monday morning, and type up a tiny storm, more like a breeze, in a separate scene from the previous night. I go and check my Project Target, and my session target says that I typed -2850 words, and the session bar isn’t even a hint filled up. My total word count reads around 3000, give or take a few hundred. Then I see the minus sign. My session count was a negative number, yet I did not delete anything.
I somehow think to look in my binder at previous scenes. You know how there are different icons for a blank scene and a texted scene? Five of my scenes which I had completely written Sunday night were blank. I clicked on them and they popped up with no text what so ever. I am horrified.
I manage to open my compiled document, and I repaste all my scenes back in. And I add what I had just written to a copy of my rtf back up compilation. I close Scrivener and return to it after school. The scene I had written that morning was blank as well.
Eventually, my title page also disappeared. That one I didn’t have saved, but I can always get a new one.
I haven’t stored any new text in Scrivener since then. I opened it today to check if anything else was gone. No text disappeared, but my title page didn’t reappear, either. I don’t know if I just sptted it, or if it’s a new development, but I just found out that the scene synopsises that I was all I did that first Saturday, they’re all gone as welll. All the index cards laying out what each scene is about only has a status stamp now.
Temporal Ranger told me, when I posted this bug on the other topic that was supposed to be about the ctz z dissappearing text bug, told me to try to search for the missing text. So I tried typing words from the original and modified title page. It does not appear in the search portion of the binder area.
No scene text has disappeared since the title page. But this is a very annoying bug that does not let me trustu Scrivener enough to use it for my NaNo this year. I cannot afford the time or effort of having my words deleted.
I do not know how to reproduce this bug. It kind of just happened. I didn’t split anything. I didn’t notice when the text had been deleted. I don’t have a desktop cleaner or anything that could be interfereing with the project, plus it’s a new set of files, created on the fourth. I believe that the scenes disappeared while the project was closed or while it was opening/closing. Because I only noticed things when I repopend the project.
The only special thing I can think of is that I downloaded another trial last year on the same machine and had aobut 10 or 20 days left. I updated Scrivener by downloading the trial again and getting a new set of 30 days. It is not a beta version. But it is a trial version.
By the way, I’m currently experiencing a bug on this site. As I’m typing, at every keystroke, the scrollbar jumps, making it vaery difficult to see what I"m typing. So please pardon any spelling or typographicla errors.