deleting and dragging the final paragraph

Hi. I think this counts as a usability bug:

1. Go into scrivening mode with a few documents, each containing a few paragraphs.
  2. triple-click on the last paragraph in a document. Hit the delete key. It just beeps at you. This only occurs on the last paragraph. As far as I can remember, Scrivener has always had this problem with the last paragraph (Yes, I know it has something to do with the end of the document and that if you don’t select “paragraph break” it will work).
  3. I’ve kind of accepted this behaviour. But recently I found it has a more confusing implication. Triple click the last paragraph in a document again. Now drag and drop that paragraph to another document. PROBLEM: it copies, rather than moves the text, and this ONLY happens on the last paragraph (again).

So sometimes when you drag and drop, you move text; othertimes, it copies text.

I suspect this might come down to a lack of control over the Cocoa Text system. Any way of dealing with it?

Cheers,
Brett

The problem is that the final return is part of the separator (it’s not one you’ve added yourself), and so you can’t delete it - if Scrivener allowed you to delete it then the separator would disappear. So there’s not really a way around this, I’m afraid, other than to select the paragraph manually and avoid selecting the final return. Scrivener could disallow the selection of that final return, but that could get irritating if you were trying to copy more than one scrivening…

EDIT: Actually a solution comes to mind after all - I could have Scrivener disallow the selection of that last return if that is the only character that spills over from the document that is selected, if that makes sense. That should do the trick and I’ll try to add it for 2.0.3.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

I figured it was something like that (I wrote a text editor years ago – invisible characters are hard!). I think I understand the solution – hope it is easy to do…

Cheers,
Brett

It’s already done and works nicely. Now, if you triple-cilck in the last paragraph, as soon as you stop clicking Scrivener will adjust the selection so that the separator character that would prevent edits gets removed from the selection. Likewise if you’ve selected it as part of a larger selection within that particular scrivening (but it won’t prevent the selection if you’ve deliberately selected a range of text across the boundaries of more than one scrivening.

So, it seems to do the trick.

Thanks,
Keith

This is super swanky and virtually does away with the problem of accidentally selecting that protected separator. Nice!

I did notice that if you make multiple selections (using the command key) and the final paragraph is not the first selected, using triple-click on it still selects the protected divider. Is that just unavoidable since it’s no longer a single selection?

Yes, it only deals with it if it is a single selection, and if the entire selection is within one component. This is deliberate, as I don’t want to forbid the selection of the separator entirely - it might be desirable if you are copying some sections into another document, for instance. So it really just tries to avoid the cases where it is most likely that you don’t want it, such as triple-clicking, by checking for a single selection in a single text where the last character selected is the separator.

All the best,
Keith

Yep yep, makes sense. I was getting carried away redoing the FAQ on the “why can’t I delete text in Scrivenings” and coming up with a complicated workaround for deleting/dragging multiple paragraphs across sections, so I discovered it. Why you’d really want to do that, I can’t entirely fathom, but these are the sort of things I come up with when I’m avoiding real work. :wink:

Oh, thanks for editing the FAQ! Much appreciated!