Deleting itself charachter by character

Hi

I’m on Windows 7 and for no apparent reason my writing starts getting “unpicked” character by character until everything I have written on a page has gone. I can’t stop it. It seems to start anywhere on a page of writing, very fast and travels from left to right- automatically deleting characters one by one. It has happened a few times now and no warning.

I thought it was me at first and had my finger on the “delete” button but not.

How do I stop it please :frowning:

Might as well exclude the obvious first: What’s your hardware set up? Do you have an external keyboard or anything plugged in to your machine which may have a cable across the keys or something?

It sounds like you have either a sticky backspace, or a sticky delete key.

“Might as well exclude the obvious first: What’s your hardware set up? Do you have an external keyboard or anything plugged in to your machine which may have a cable across the keys or something?”

Nope.

It’s just happened in WORD as well (same computer) so isn’t Scrivener.

Hmnnnnnn…

I thought that too, perhaps it is but it is so minor I can’t see it - but just enough to trigger it.

Next question: does it happen if you plug in another keyboard?

Could be a short-circuit. Spill any fluids around it lately, or is it in a location where others might have?

Thanks everyone for your advice and tips and sorry not to get back to you all earlier but internet been down too - doesn’t rain but it pours :laughing:

I’ve brought a new keyboard and problem seems to have been fixed so no more excuses for procrastinating!