“delisting” only one item from a list affects the whole list

Hello,

I have been using Scrivener 3 for years (now with Catalina 10.15.6) and have never managed to understand how to delist one or a few items from a list.

What I have been doing is to:

• select one or multiple items in the list
  • Scrivener→ Lists→ None

but as illustrated, instead of delisting one single item, I end up delisting the whole list.

I even noticed that sometimes, I press Enter a few times at the end of a list (another method I use to get out of List format) to work on a new paragraph, and when within that paragraph I create a new list, some kind of quantum entanglement causes to new list to affect the list above. So it’s all very confusing. There must be something basic that I don’t understand, which would not be the first time.

thanks in advance for your time and help

Scrivener List Menu.png

1 Like

Cannot help, but adding my voice to say I share your frustration. I am constantly having to redo list contents to get them back in order after I delete or remove a line. Would love to see a solution

1 Like

thank you for your comment. I think that we both would like to understand how the process works, and why commands appear to act at a distance. I hope that the L&L team will help us.

Scrivener uses Apple’s standard lists system, the same as you see in TextEdit, and it definitely has its quirks. When it comes to delisting things, I believe it’s because the list is really a single entity. It’s less obvious with bullets, but think of when you have a numbered list. If you “delist” a section of it, that affects everything, turning it into two lists rather than one. Apple’s solution to that is just to remove list formatting from the whole thing. And sometimes if you hit return a couple of times in the middle of a list, it’s true that you can end up with ghost list formatting in there so that Apple’s code still thinks it’s one list. For that it’s best to do something like selecting “No Style” after deleting the bullets to ensure the formatting is returned to standard and that any list formatting is removed. At some point, when I have the time and resources, I would like to rewrite the lists code and build my own list routines instead of using Apple’s, but that’s quite a big job, as it’s not just a matter of the formatting but also integrating it into the various import and export formats.

All the best,
Keith

1 Like

thank you very much Keith.
No style is an excellent solution.
Your reply is very well worded, for example using the term ghost list, which is exactly the problem.