Developping an outline using keyboard shortcuts

I have a question regarding the movements between the editor pane and the binder.

Supposed I am in the early stage of deveolpment of a story. Let’s say I use the command ctrl-alt-cmd-B to go to the binder, I move there around, shift documents in other places etc. and finally set the cursor to a folder. So, in the editor pane, there appears the index card view (corkboard view), which is what I want, because I want to see this chapter or act as a whole. Now I’d like to go there with a keystroke and change the inscription on some of the cards there - but when I press ctrl-alt-cmd-E (which normally sets me into the editor pane), nothing happens.

I think it’s because of a logical reason: From a folder in the binder, I see the cards of the documents the folder contains, so the command “go to editor pane” knows not where to go exactly - to which of the cards.

I have to grab the mouse and click on one of the cards, before I can go on using keyboard shortcuts (up/down/left/right to go to the card I want to go to, ESC to edit the title text, TAB to jump into the synopsis etc.).

If you try to reproduce what I mean please take care to move around in the binder before switching back to the corkboard view: If you switch from corkboard to binder and immediately back - that works. But if you wander around in the binder before, you cannot switch back to the cards on the corkboard with ctrl-alt-cmd-E.

Or am I, the newbee, misunderstanding something? Any hints welcome.

(You guessed it: I’m one of these guys who like to keep their hands on the keyboard while thinking. As far as this need is concerned, Scrivener does a tremendous job; far better than any other writing software I ever encountered.)

The reason for this is that when you click on a folder, nothing is selected in the corkboard. So, although the corkboard gets the focus, nothing is selected, so nothing happens… I will add it to my list of things to do to select the first item on the corkboard by default.

All the best,
Keith

Along the same lines, yesterday I was working in Layout: Split Vertically, with Binder, File, Corkboard, and Inspector in left-to-right display. I was reviewing files and updating their synopses. At first, I could double-click the cards in Corkboard and edit them. When I placed a new File in the left pane, I could no longer edit its card in Corkboard; instead I had to move to Inspector to edit or enter new text. The layout was the same in both instances, but the behavior was not. Gremlins?

Yes, this would be sufficent.

I noticed that in outline view, if you press the down-arrow, the first item gets selected out of nothing.

So my workaround in the moment is:

• I am in the binder.
  • ctrl-alt-cmd-E goes to the editor pane (in corkboard view)
  • cmd-1 changes to outliner view
  • cursor-down selects first item
  • cmd-2 changes back to corkboard view and, voilà , the first item is selected without use of the mouse!

:laughing:

All the best,
AndreasE

Thanks for your question, AndreasE, and Keith for your reply. I’m another one who likes to work without lifting my fingers from the keyboard.
cw

This one has bothered me in the past before, but actually if I may cast a vote to have it work like Outliner does. When you switch from the Binder, nothing is selected, and this allows you to change your mind and edit the notes/synopsis for the container if you will. Pressing the arrows begins selecting items in the outline. Another side effect is that it lets you work in one of two modes. Pressing the down arrow selects the top item, pressing the up arrow selects the bottom item. If you open up a Corkboard with over a dozen items, it would be nice to start at the bottom, if that is what you desired.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah! Good point! I didn’t think of this.

Absolutely. This is better than having the first (or last) item selected automatically.

Add a second vote for this suggestion… :slight_smile:

I have implemented it in 1.04 so that the corkboard works like the outliner, as per AmberV’s suggestion.
Best,
Keith