Dictionary app crashing when Scrivener opens it.

Hi

I’m finding the OSX dictionary app is crashing on me, one time in four or five (Probably more often). I’m opening it via a cmd+d shortcut when I’ve got a word selected.

It seems to open, but then crashes when it looks up the word Scrivener is pushing to it. I think it crashes mostly when the app is already open from a previous look up, but it could be crashing on first open too.

It never crashes when I open it directly, or use it when it’s open. It only ever crashes when opening / gaining focus from Scrivener and doing that a pushed lookup.

I tried deleting the dictionary preferences as discussed here, but if anything it’s made it worse (I’ve never really kept count of the crashes)
discussions.apple.com/message.js … D=10247109

Other advice I’ve read is to create an entirely new user account, which I’ve yet to try as I wish to avoid if possible.

Suggestions?

Have you applied the 10.6.7 update? I checked in my Dictionary.app to see where the service was, and noticed it had been updated recently. Maybe a change they made is conflicting with something else you are running.

No, I’m still on 10.6.6 and the dictionary crashing problem has been with me for months. I was planning on running the upgrade the next time I shutdown (which could be days away as I rarely do)

I’ll run the update and see if giving the dictionary app a kick like this will stabilise it for me.

Strangely enough, now it knows I’m on to it, the dictionary app has behaved impeccably all afternoon. I haven’t really needed it, I’ve just been trying to catch the damn thing out!

I’d hold off on the update for a bit if you can. Maybe stick with Dictionary.com until you can give a shot. There are some pretty nasty font bugs in 10.6.7, particularly in the display of PDFs (which is just about everywhere on a Mac) and OpenType PS fonts.

Ew, thanks for the tip. I’m still sticking with 10.6.5…

I’d already updated by the time I saw the warning (but thanks anyway).

So far, I’m not having any font issues, even with the supposedly troublesome fonts