Dictionary

I saw the bug report about the missing/broken dictionary, but I didn’t see any fixes. Is there a way to get a working english dictionary in the current version (to allow spell checking)?

I am a new Scrivener user, and I absolutely adore it!

are you on a 64-bit system? I had to install the 32-bit aspell to get it to work. (Most distros have multilib support…consult your documentation for details.) I think it’s a bug, since Scrivener comes with its own version of Aspell.

No, 32-bit – Ubuntu 12.10. The symptom seems to match the one someone reported in the forums. No option to add an English dictionary (because it thinks it there, I’m sure) and yet no spellchecking. I have aspell installed.

I installed the dictonary (german) in the way, that i copied the files from the aspell folder of the windows trial-version in the linux installation aspell directory and it works fine.

Hrm. It looks to be exactly the same files, though, including the *.exe file (in the Linux one). Curiouser and curiouser.

Every time I read about this bug I weep a little.

As far as I know, spellcheck is supposed to work just fine for 32-bit Linux, you just need all the regular 32-bit aspell libraries installed. It doesn’t fully work on 64-bit Linux, even with the proper 32 bit libraries. Even if you get it to work it will underline every other word on your page and won’t remember which words are “OK” if you accept them.

To get it to work on my 64 bit Kubuntu I had to install a 32 bit ubuntu using schroot. WHICH IS MADDENING. In order to run it on my 64 bit machine in my 64 bit OS I have to install a smaller 32 bit OS that I can install Scrivener on. Yeesh.

I am running a stock 32 bit Ubuntu install, had Aspell libraries before installing Scrivener, and the spelling stuff does not work.

I tend to turn off spellchecking when I’m doing a first draft anyway, so it’s not a huge issue at present, but it will make future drafts a pain for sure.

Interesting. What version of aspell do y’all have? (.60.6.1, here. Believe 32-bit is the same.)

I simply do the spell checking at the end of my workflow. I do all of the writing in Scrivener and then dump an RTF to Libre Office for final formatting, editing and spell checking.

All of my professors want a Word document anyway so this is not a big deal for me, YMMV.

My aspell: 0.60.7~20110707-1build1

As for correcting spelling post draft, I think that would be just fine for shorter things, but with longer works its really a drag. One of the things that seems most compelling about Scrivener is that at any point in the drafting process, you can dump a portion or all of what you have without having to combine files, order etc (which is what I used to do before). So it eliminates this situation: “okay this is one compiled version of what I have, but is this the one with x changes?” etc. If I have to run spell checking from scratch over a 200+ page novel each time I dump it, it’s a pain. Did I mention that I am a horrible speller?

For first drafting of a novel, zero trouble: dinking with spelling ends up being another form of editing that I probably shouldn’t be doing. For producing a final draft of a novel, it’s a problem.

Nobody has found a way to get this working?

I am messing with this instead of writing – procrastination is awesome. Here’s something interesting:

I tried to add a Greek dictionary, just for the heck of it. When I click “download” I get this error:

Could not open el.multi for writing: el.multi

Then it appears to actually download the dictionary (i.e. the progress bar does its thing). When I restart Scrivener, there is no Greek dictionary in the list of available dictionaries.

A quick search shows that el.multi is a subdirectory of aspell. If you run the program as root, you don’t get the error when you try to add another dictionary, but it still doesn’t show up after a restart.

I have the same issue. Installed on an older 32 bit ubuntu (11.10) via the deb. 32bit aspell was pre-installed (0.60.6). Scrivener thinks en_us is already installed but can’t do any spell checking.

The system installed aspell works fine from the command line, I’m not sure how to run the one that comes with scrivener from the command line to confirm it works. Which begs the question how does scrivener run the .exe files? As far as I can determine I don’t have wine installed.

I exported one file as plaintext and ran it through aspell on the command line, and it didn’t point out correctly spelled words (like “condescension”). So the problems we’re having, I think, are with Scrivener, not aspell, in general.

And I’ve no idea what the material in the Aspell directory is doing. That might well be part of the problem.

So what’s the protocol for addressing bugs with Scrivener? Are the devs hanging around the forums? Is there a bug tracker where we can submit? Is there source available so maybe we can see how to fix?

More stuff: run from the command line (not as root), I also get this error when I try to add another dictionary:

QString::arg: Argument missing: Could not open el.rws for writing: el.rws, Permission denied

When run as root, no error is thrown but still no dictionary.

I’d say that we’re dealing with at least two problems here: permissions for getting to the aspell stuff (small problem most likely) and something else.

Yeah, if memory serves, this was a bug in the Windows version…

Huh. And it was fixed in the Win version? Is this just something that needs to be updated in the linux version?

I started a list of the words Scrivener underlines for me, but doesn’t correct (right click, select what it says is correct–exactly what I had typed–underline doesn’t go away.) Aspell says they’re all spelled correctly, when I run it from the command line. Only commonality I can find is that they’re a lot of -ion, -ing, -sion, and -tion words. (i.e. around the same length.)

condescension
backstabbing
intervention
surroundings
interpretation
instructions
exhilarating
snowboarding
interrupting
surveillance
acknowledging
calculations
parishioner’s
extracurricular
technicality
precognition
specializing
conveniently
comparatively
anthropology

Interesting. “Shitfaced” isn’t flagged but “traditionally” is.

Ha, interesting.

I got everything working on the windows version – I own Crossover, and found that the font handling is done best there. I am sure its something which you could replicate by configing Wine properly (if I knew how to do that)

That said, I still prefer the native linux version. The windowing and fonts in the windows version just look windowsy to me even with tweaked anti-aliasing etc. If I could figure out what’s up with the spelling, I’d never open the windows version for sure. I’m torn now, actually: I finished Nano and will have a cupon for 50% off. I’m not sure if I should just buy the Windows version or not.

Oh yeah, I bounce between Windows/WINE and Linux frequently. (Namely, when I need to add a non-picture file to the Research folder or when I get tired of the spellcheck, or when I need to take a snapshot, but I’m more likely to just fork something to a different file.) PDFs used to work under WINE, but when they changed to quickpdf, it quit working. (Finding those native dll’s just makes Scrivener crash.)

If you tweak font smoothing in the registry and install the corefonts via winetricks, it looks pretty decent. (Not as clean as the Linux one, though.)

Heh, yeah, the first time I ever used Scrivener was the first beta released for NaNoWriMo 2010. Says a lot about the program, when it works THAT well in beta with WINE. :wink: It’ll be nice to have a native application.