Different paragraph formats in compile output?

Could not find an answer to this.
Is there a way to cause different paragraphs have different margins, indents, first-line indents etc. in the compiled output?

I am translating a text containing plain text, poetry and other quotes from different sources, and I would like to have some paragraphs have a larger left margin, some a first-line indent, and others no first-line indent, so distinguish those parts of the text.

I ended up trying to use tabs, but that lead to fairly unpredictable results with very large tabs in Word (no idea how they got there, as I did not set them).

Any help appreciated.

The simplest way to do this is probably just to format it directly in the editor when you’re working and then leave “override text and notes formatting” unchecked in the Formatting pane of Compile. You could separate each of these differently formatted segments into its own document in the binder and then use document types and leveling in the compile formatting to format the different groups of documents in distinct ways, but if you have a lot of different styles you need that might not be as simple and might just overly complicate your binder if you’ve already got a pretty set way of working with that. It would also not be what I’d call an introductory-level exercise with setting up formatting in compile, so unless you’re already comfortable dealing with the different levels and document types there or are willing to spend some time learning, it will certainly be simpler to just go with the WYSIWYG method and format in the editor.

You could also use something like highlighting or other character attributes or tags you create to mark different sections in the editor and not worry about the formatting until after you compile, then pull the whole thing into Word or similar and go through applying styles based off your custom tags and character formatting.

Thanks, MM! Very helpful answer, clarifying the options I have.

The second option (via Binder) is out because my text sections are too small.
So I’ll try out your suggestion no. 1 - native formatting plus uncheck “override text and notes formatting”, or no. 3 - some sort of personal mark-up to be turned into formatting only in Word.

This last option sounded like too much extra work at first, because I intend to compile often, to give intermediate text versions to people. But also I would like to avoid formatting in the Scrivener editor as much as possible - separating out writing and formatting is one of the reasons for using Scrivener in the first place.
So I’ll try and see if Search-and-Replace in Word can replace a markup with formatting - never tried something that advanced before. If it works it can be turned into macro, then it is no extra effort in the future.

Thanks again.

You may be able to set up some macros or such in Word to do the style replace. If you’re looking at that route, I recommend doing a search of the forums for suggestions–I’ve seen a handful or people talk about their methods for doing that. Some of them are Mac users, but using Word, so I expect the basics of the set up would be the same. Unfortunately I haven’t used this sort of thing much myself, so beyond the gist of the fact that it can be done, I’m not too helpful there with specifics. But you can probably find a number of helpful users who could point you in the right direction with that.