Different Types of enumeration for Titles?

Hello,
I am mainly using Scrivener for University and since I am studying law, the standard <$n> together with <$hn> does not cut it for me, since it produce a enumeration as follows:

What I need is:
A.
B.
I.
II.
a)
b)
aa)
bb)
αα)
ββ)
cc)
c)
III.
C.

Is there any way to get my Titles enumerated like that?

Edit: I know how to get the A. … I. … 1. … a) … enumerations, but I have no Idea how to do the last two ( aa) … αα) …) .

I’m not sure how to achieve that either, but I would experiment with the Custom List options in the Format -> Lists submenu. That will definitely give you single Greek letters, but I’m not sure about double Greek letters.

Note that the Format -> Lists options apply to lists in running text, not in titles. So if this turns out to be the solution, it would preclude putting each bottom-level outline point in its own file. That may or may not be a dealbreaker for you.

Katherine

Not being able to put each bottom-level outline point in its own document is indeed a deal breaker, especially since I would work a lot with templates.
I played around with the Format => Lists options none the less, but wasn’t able to get double letters…

You could do it by setting compile to output to RTF with different and distinctive font attributes for each of those different level titles, then open it in a word-processor like Nisus Writer Pro and use search and replace to create the title-styles you want. If you used a distinctive numbering styles for the last two levels, in NWP you could then use PowerFind/PowerFind Pro (RegEx) to replace those with your doubled letters and Greek letters and when you’d got that sorted to work efficiently, macroize it.

There are those on the NWP forum who are extremely helpful with creating macros, as is Martin from Nisus itself. But perhaps you don’t use Nisus Writer Pro.

A couple of extra steps, but I’d be compiling to RTF and running that through NWP or a wordprocessor anyway, and I’m sure what you want could be reduced to two macros in NWP (perhaps they could even be combined into one) and those little extra steps are a very small price to pay for retaining all the advantages of drafting in Scrivener with your bottom level points in their own documents as you wish.

:slight_smile:

Hmm, I managed to get aa) running by using 2 named streams (<$l:d1><$l:d2>). So if I somehow can access greek letters in the compile=>format dialog, I can use the same technique and won’t have to use a second editor.

Ok, so it turns out, we can use an alternative enumeration ((1) instead of greek stuff). So that problem is solved.
However, a new one arises (I am just re-using this thread, since it fits in here): I have to reset the count each time I come down again to an layer that I have been to before.

Ex.:

a)
aa)
bb)

c)
aa)
bb)

I thought I’d just use the <$rst_…> tags at the preceding title.
The <$rst_…> works great for everything but named tags. For the “double-enumeration” the tags are:
<$l:d1><$l:d2>
So when I use <$rst_d1><$rst_d2> at every title, that is enumerated with <$l> it should work, right? Well, it doesn’t. Somehow the ‘numbers’ get reseted for every title.

Ex. with tags:

a) <$rst_d1><$rst_d2>
aa)
aa)

c) <$rst_d1><$rst_d2>
aa)
aa)

If I use <$rst_l:d1><$rst_l:d2> nothing gets reseted (wich seems logical, just thought I’d mention that I tried that).

I just tested this out and it worked perfectly for me. I placed “<$l><$rst_d1><$rst_d2>” in the title prefix for the top-level items and “<$l:d1><$l:d2>” in the title prefix for the second-level items and I got the correct results:

a)
aa)
bb)

b)
aa)
bb)

Perhaps you could post screenshots of all your title prefix settings so that we can see exactly what you are doing?

Okay, the screens are here. The name of the screenshot resembles the depth of the title. But basically I did exactly what you did. It seems to have something to do with the fact that the “strings” are named (I tried naming an other string, same problem).

[size=85]PS: Sorry for .zip file, the upload didn’t like tiffs… imgur didn’t either…[/size]
Screens.zip (204 KB)