Difficulty exporting files

Hello, I’m hoping someone can help me with a problem I’m having exporting files. I am trying to export files into a .doc format, and they only export as .rtf files, even when I choose to export them as .doc files. In addition, the footnotes do not export along with the text. Am I doing something wrong? I haven’t exported a file since last year – I’m sending material to an editor – and it worked then to export in .doc format. Thanks for any assistance/advice.

Are you using the Export, or the Compile function? Depending on what you want to achieve, the Compile function is more powerful and may be a better choice.

What are you using to open the output files? TextEdit, for instance, does not support footnotes, so it’s not going to tell you whether Scrivener included them or not.

Katherine

Thanks. I was using the export – but wanted them to appear as .doc files so that I could send them on. When I used this last year, they exported easily as .doc files, with the footnotes. I was able to uncheck all the options in the preferences pane, and so they now export as .doc files, but with the paragraphing lost. I went through and indented all the paragraphs (which had been showing up on a new line, but not indented). It’s a bit of a pain, but since I only have three files I’m sending at the moment it isn’t horrific. But there has to be a better way, I imagine. What would compiling do?

The Compile command is the “official” method for getting presentation-quality documents out of Scrivener. So it gives you a lot more control over formatting, what happens to the footnotes, and so on. Full details can be found in Chapter 24 of the manual.

One thing to note, though, is that one of the Compile command’s functions is to stitch files together into a single output document. So if you want your three output files to go out as separate files, you’ll need to plan accordingly.

Now, with that said, I just exported one of my own files using those same options, and it worked fine. Comments (didn’t have any footnotes) and paragraph formatting both came through as expected.

What program are you using to inspect the .DOC files? Word, or something else?

Are you using the paragraph first line indent in Scrivener, or a tab?

Would it be possible to send a screenshot of your Export options pane?

Finally, what version of Scrivener do you have, please?

Katherine