Direct visualization of child entities on Index Cards

I did a search and haven’t seen this suggestion, hopefully it is new.

I’d like to be able to visualize on the corkboard items elsewhere in the hierarchy than currently visible (and manipulate them). One way would be to have a version of the view where the index card’s lower text was a list of index cards at the next level down. Another, probably better way ,would be to have a mode where all index cards (depending on what is selected in the binder) are visible at the lowest level of the hierarchy but where the label of a given card is superceded by (has above it, that is) the lable of the card representing the parent entity. So, this hierarchy:

Chapter One
-scene a
-scene b
Chapter Two
-scene a
-scene b

would be represented with index cards so titled:

Chapter One
-scene a

Chapter One
-scene b

Chapter Two
-scene a

Chapter Two
-scene b

(the upper line would have to look very different than the lower line shown here, and the lower line is the shown index card’s title)

Does this make sense?

1 Like

Yeah this has been discussed before, but it has been a long long while so it is no surprise that the search results were a bit shy about coming out. This sort of “bird’s eye view” is meant to be done in the Outliner. One of the advantages of the Corkboard, by design, is that it focusses on a single slice of the book at once. If you’re thinking that the outliner is too cluttered with columns and such, you can definitely trim that down. If you already use the outliner specifically for all of the information it provides, there are some tricks that can let you do both. One is to save your layouts so you can swap between them easily. Another is knowing that each split has its own column settings. Consequently you can use one split for a detailed view and the other for a simple stripped down view.

The problem with trying to get the corkboard into a state where it can show hierarchy is the breadth of variation that can exist in a project. Your proposed solution would work fine if everyone had one level of depth to work with. What about cases where the depth of the outline goes down to six or more? It would start to get messy, listing the heritage of each card like that.

That all said there is one feature that is close to what you want, and that is the ability to stack corkboards. Try using the Command key to select multiple folders (take care not to select any individual items, just the containers). You’ll note that each container you click on stacks in order of appearance in the binder, with the background alternating so you can see when one folder ends and the next begins. This view is handy because you can easily drag cards from one corkboard to another right within a single window, and is optimum for a one level deep outline. Cards can be stacked vertically or horizontally in this mode, via the toggle in the footer bar.

Corkboard stacks aren’t available on Windows or Linux yet, but they will be coming in 2.0.

Oops, sorry, my brain is screwed in backwards right now. Change tense to future in the last paragraph. :slight_smile:

Thank you, this is all very helpful. Also, the binder gives an excellent multi level view of things as well.

As I use scrivener more, I may be modifying what I’d like anyway. It might be nice to have the ability to drill in and pull up with simple mouse clicks from a given card… at present one can have double clicking on the corkboard open the higher container, but I don’t think one can easily drill down (but I may just be missing that)

Meanwhile, if one is moving in and out of views, it might be nice to have a surface off to the side where one can toss a card temporarily… a card one has picked up somewhere that you want to find the ideal place to move it to. This could be achieved by allowing a cork board view of a container and its elements viewable as a quick reference pane.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, stacking looks like the thing to try.

Yes it is possible to navigate both upward and downward in a corkboard via the keyboard. You should take a look at §9.2 (pg. 69) of the user manual PDF, specifically “Enclosing Group” and “Editor Selection” style navigation, and of course the [b]Documents/Open/[/b] sub-menu has shortcuts for opening the selected card either in the current editor view, or into a split view.

Might that not be possible by simply creating a folder for this, and using a split view?

Hello!
When I choose multiple folders in binder and view in corkboard mode a line marks the split. (see image)

It would be awesome if I also could see name of folder, not just a line. :slight_smile:

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place… or if this has been answered - could not find it…

Since that line can be of indeterminate length, I’m not sure if that would be efficacious, but I’m just a user like yourself, not a coder. As far as I know the developer(s) looks at each wishlist item. He/they value input even if he/they don’t respond here.

A feature you might find useful (I can only attest to its usefulness in macOS) is the Content Navigation Button which can be accessed at the
Editor header bar.

Click on a dependent card, the hamburger menu will indicate the container item; click on a container in the menu list and the Corkboard will move to the dependent card.

Not what you asked for but possibly will fill a hole for you.

1 Like

Thnx for tips - not for me unfortunately…
The name of the folder could perhaps be visualised far left just under the line or inside a thicker line.

Or… as a heading over each column with this layout…

A Freeform Corkboard with a background containing these folder names? It’s not very flexible…

Agree, but this is not freeform. :slight_smile: