Disabled Students Allowance+Scriv

I had a meeting with the DSA people today to discuss my “learning needs” and when he suggested I have MS Office I said that I’m not putting anything by Microsoft onto my Mac and told him I’m going Scrivener and Pages all the way.

I then proceeded to show him Scrivener. I think that he’s pretty sold - I have a feeling that he will be recommending it to other students with my form of dyslexia.

So that’s pretty good, me thinks.

Sebbie,
How does ‘your’ form of dyslexia affect you. Im talking physical symptoms. Youre not behind the door when it comes to intellectual prowess, and there seems to be an awful lot of highly talented people, similarly affected.

I,ve just come across this in today`s Guardian Tus July 1st:
education.guardian.co.uk/teachin … 50,00.html
And the Telegraph:
telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop … aunch.html

Take care
Vic

I have the form of it that is relatively unknown. Most people think of dyslexia as predominantly affecting your ability to read and write well/at all. For many, this is accurate, and indeed exhaustive. However, dyslexia is actually far broader ranging than that - it will also affect other cognitive skills such as your ability to organise yourself for example.

I have what (I think) is known as V-type dyslexia (I may have made that up, but I think it is somewhere on my psychologist’s report). The “V” descibes the shape made by the assessment graphs. You are tested on 3 types of skills: verbals skills (a duck swims in a: bucket, pond, bath, waterfall [ok it goes deeper than that, but it’s those sort of things they’re looking for), spacial skills (they show you a pattern for 5 seconds and you’ve got to reconstruct it with a pen and paper and also with coloured blocks); the final skill is non-verbal reasoning - that’s things like getting you to spot the missing number in a sequence or something along those lines.

Back to the V - I score very highly on the verbal skills (hence your comment on my intellectual prowess), I’m off the chart for the spacial skills (this isn’t surprising with my performance work), but I suck at the non-verbal reason.

I also suck at things like short-term memory (right: turn around twice, then touch your head with your right hand, lie on the ground and say “AHHH!” - I get to “touch your head” and then I am lost, I used to think it was because I wasn’t paying attention, but now I know).

So what does this mean:
I am very bad at organising myself for one (hence why I am so keen on things like GTD; by a lot of people’s standards I seem meticulous, but for myself I am just getting on par with everyone else… actually I probably am overcompensating, but it works).

In school this could be very frustrating: I would be asked to write an essay and if the teacher asked me about the topic then I would be able to answer articulately and in great depth about it; but then would I actually produce any work? No. I would have no idea how to start, finish or do the bit inbetween.

One thing I share that is common with all dyslexics (and in many situations [such as the performing arts] this is a huge advantage) I am a predominantly visual thinker. Where this becomes a disadvantage with words that don’t have a visual image you can attach to them (give me a picture for “the” or “or” or “and”). “The brown horse jumped over the stone wall and ran through the pasture” is suprisingly difficult; it contains a lot of trigger words than looks obvious - I remember reading this for the first time and having to do it about 4 or 5 times to get the meaning correct. Apply that to stuffy philosophy textbooks and you suddenly see why I am probably going to get an E, possibly a D in Religious Studies (Western philosophical texts, in my experience, are composed nearly entirely from trigger words, or if they’re not; the first sentance of all them are - but that’s often as far as I get). prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblaw … ity-o.html

So in short - I’m very good at coming up with and exploring ideas; I’m VERY good in a setting where I can really be a visiospacial thinker (such a rehearsal room); but the process of A-B in ALOT of contexts in extremely difficult.

Or even shorter - I heard this a lot (and then found out why later):
“Sebastian is a highly intelligent and able student, but he’s suffering from bouts of laziness.”

Sebbie,
Thanks for your comprehensive explanation.

The above, or something very similar, is quite a common remark made by people with Dyslexia
You do seem to have coped admirably with it. :wink:
Take care
vic

I think part of the reason why I have been coping is because I have put a lot of effort into taking myself out of environments where it hinders me and into environments where it is actually an advantage. Hence post-dramatic-theatre, and contempory chereography over academia.

I’ll trade you remarks…

“Jaysen is a very lazy and incapable fool who suffers from delusional bouts of competence.”

That one is soul crushing (and only exaggerated with everything after fool).

Ouch.

I thought that one was an urban legend.

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. “The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.” The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?” The old Cherokee simply replied,

“The one you feed.”

Not a legend. This was back in the 70’s and 80’s. Pre ADD and all the current diagnosis that are leveled at kids. A psycho friend of mine (profession, not mental state) recently declared me an “ADD, dyslexic, and learning disability nightmare”. He came to this conclusion as we were working on a music project together. He could not figure out how I managed to get anything done and as i showed him my “system” he began taking notes. I hit all the big markers for each of the big three. I was never diagnosed with anything other than laziness (which is in fact a trait that I have) in school and never received anything other than a swift kick in the pants.

The point that I would make is this: I consider myself a very successful person (happily married, 2 kids, good job, financially stable, etc) in SPITE of what people of authority said of me. Learn to use your unique abilities to your advantage, refuse to live down to the expectations of others, then you will be able to conquer the world.

Here read this list
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe … r_disorder

Crazy people lead the world. “Sane People” just occupy it. :slight_smile:

I had nothing whatsoever wrong with me, until I signed up on Scriv :frowning: Now look at me!! A psychological mess :cry:
I don`t even know which one of me is writing this :confused:

Another quote I use in my dissertation! Along with the Elie Wiesel one mentioned on another thread. You Scriveners are really on it!

But at least Scrivener lets you file each ‘you’ into a separate folder in the binder, so you can keep yourselves organised.

I guess most of us would file you under ‘Research’, but for your sake(s), I really do hope ‘Draft’ is more appropriate!

I think you have an extra ‘r’ in that word.

Speaking of quotes…

While in Scrivener
Hold Down THIS PART OF THE MESSAGE THAT REVEALS THE HIDDEN TREASURE MAP IS CENSORED UNTIL EASTER menu with your mouse.

(PS: I didn’t tell you this :slight_smile: )

Hey Wock, it’s not Easter, you know. :slight_smile:

Oops. I didn't think you would venture forth down this far into the ship Captain. :slight_smile: I have censored the hidden treasure map until next Easter in my previous post.

Ha, that was exactly my thought. Wock, I think you very cruel for hiding that Easter thing. Why not eliminate the whole post rather than tease us so? Or do you simply refer to the Easter egg already found on another thread? Is this yet a new one? I must know…

Alex my little Precious,
Meet me behind the bike sheds, and I shall reveal to you the '‘Easter Egg’ 8)

Le D :smiling_imp:

and on it goes ad-nauseam. Despite which, I`m still a very nice easy going people to know.
Take care
vic