Disabling rich-text in Scrivener editor

Firstly, I would like to thank Keith once more for his wonderful response to my request for Bold, Italic, Underline buttons in the ruler. Very few shareware developers would have responded with such wonderous attention to detail.

Using Scrivener to write news articles for Wikinews has uncovered another gripe, however, which should be easy to fix: although I know that using Paste and Match Style (Alt-Shift-Cmd-V) will paste following the current text style and indentation, it is awfully annoying when you paste using the familiar Cmd-V from a web page for example (e.g. a Wikinews news article) into Scrivener, and it subsequently mucks up the formatting of the rich text as a consequence of copying the original page style from Safari. The result of this is that you end up with a hideous mess of styles in your Scrivener document which offends my sense of editing aesthetics.

Would it be possible for a “Plain-Text Mode” to be added so as to remove all the messing around with styles? e.g. in Plain-Text Mode the application would always insert any pasted text without its associated style information? The current workaround I have is to paste it into TextEdit whilst in Plain Text mode and then copy-paste from there to Scrivener, which is highly annoying. This is necessary because even Paste and Match Style will not render it into true plaintext; it will just follow whatever style went before it in the Scrivener editor. This would help also when writing screenplays where irregular styles are an irritating distraction.

Or is it that I am missing some kind of plain text mode that already exists in Scrivener? Nonetheless I like the “typewriter” style of editing, and don’t want to have to worry about all sorts of strange style anomalies whilst I am drafting my manuscripts.

Thank you again, Keith, for your wonderful work. I remain indebted to your devotion.

p.s. I wonder if perhaps the ideal answer would be an “almost” plain-text mode that disregarded font, size, indentation etc. on pasted text but did preserve (and allow entry of) bold, italic and underline characters. This would be necessary because my literary agent wants bold/italic/underline text to be in the double-spaced submission format. Thanks again.

On second thoughts regarding my post-scriptum above: actually this doesn’t need to be in Scrivener because I could just use the standard / / notation for italics, * * for bold, _ _ for underline etc. and then use a Find and Replace in Pages to put the correct formatting where it needs to be, so pure plaintext would possibly be better.

I do the same thing all the time, or import docs from other sources in random fonts and sizes.

Under the “Documents” menu you will find “Convert to default text style”. If you have the default text style set up the way you want it in the Preferences, then, when you cut and paste text in having forgotten to keep the format, just go to that menu, click the entry, and hey presto it’s all in your default. It warns you that the change is irreversible, but I believe you can switch the alert off.

:slight_smile:

Mark

I have the same preference as you, and here’s how I do it. First, I mapped Paste and Match Style to ctrl-V. Second, my default font is Monaco 12, which has no bold or italic.

No plain text mode in Scrivener, I’m afraid. Scrivener relies on rich text for too much, including annotations and footnotes.
All the best,
Keith

Instead of turning Scrivener into a fully-fledged text editor, you could make Scrivener treat plain text files the same way as PDF files (unless the user wishes to import them as RTF files, of course). I think this is a marvellous idea :smiley: You’ll get the best of both worlds: Scriveners outlining capabilities and export system plus your favourite external text editor.

Have to say, I don’t see the point of the last. You don’t have to use the rich text features in Scrivener. You can treat it like a plain text editor.

You can set your default font to one without italic or bold, like Monaco, as mamster suggested; you can map “Paste and Match Style” to a keystroke of your preference if you don’t like the default combination, and should you press Cmd-V instead, you have “Convert/Formatting to Default Text Style”, which you could also allocate a key-stroke to.

Then you can write using the / / * * _ _ notation or whatever you prefer and export to plain text for opening in Pages or your favourite word processor/page layout app.

Mark

Yes, as they say, I think you want to change your System Preferences to map cmd-V to the Paste & Match style when in Scrivener.

I did this long ago because the way I work that is almost always what I want to be doing when I paste. I have been a happy camper since.

–greg

That has been my workflow in Scrivener since the beginning of time. :wink:
Have you ever wondered why people go through all this input manager hacking in order to use TextMate with Scrivener?

I didn’t know they did!

Now that I know that at least one does, I confess to being bemused. As I think I said in another thread, I find it hard to understand why people get so hung up about interface … like wanting to change the program icon or toolbar icons. I don’t know TextMate, but I do have TextWrangler. I wouldn’t really see any advantage in editing in TextWrangler if I was going to export to text anyway … oh, more powerful search and replace perhaps … nah, don’t really need that. Keith gives you a great writing environment, including a beautiful, distraction-free full-screen set-up, and you want to hack it to use some other editor? No, I don’t get it.

And if I were Keith, I’d be trying to find a polite way of saying “Not bloody likely!” It’s the thin end of the wedge … if you allow alternative editors for plain text, then why not Nisus Writer for the RTFDs, and then why not Word … and Final Draft or whatever as an alternative editor for scripts … and Scrivener ends up nowhere … little more than a filing system.

:slight_smile:

Mark

Mark wrote:

There all ready is, it`s: NOT BLOODY LIKELY!!:shock:

Le D :smiling_imp: