Disappearing documents leaving their folders behind them !

I am on Mac OSX 10.4.10 Using an iMac 800 MHz Power PCG4
I have been using Scrivener (1.03) for months and have been very happy until today when disaster struck !
I have written 27 text documents in the draft folder in the binder in a chapter headed
Waldemar Januszczak ;4_Jun_2007_07_23].scriv
I deleted a copy of that whole chapter that had a very similar title. I did this to avoid duplication.
Now although the draft folder text headings remain on the original binder, but all the content of the pages of each of the 27 documents has gone ! All that remains is the headings, and one synopsis that was the only synopsis that I had written and it remains ?!
I have retrieved the version that I had deleted from the Mac garbage bin but it is in the same state of partial deletion.
Is there anyway of undoing the damage that I appear to have done ?

Did you check the Trash folder in the Binder? If you deleted the folder all of its contents would go as well as far as I know.

Thank you but unfortunately,
no there is nothing in the trash folder in the Binder.

I have only lost the contents of each of the the pages of each of the 27 documents. The odd things is that the
draft folder text headings remain on the original binder. That information must be somewhere, but where ?
I have checked my hard disc and all is well, so it has to be a software issue.
Can anyone help please.

Robin Cecil-Wright.

What it sounds like to me: Somehow, something went into your Scrivener project and potentially removed or shuffled files around. The list which generates the titles you see in the Binder merely references the actual files inside the project, which are simply named by sequential numbering. This gives you greater flexibility in naming things in Scrivener.

It also means that if you or some program attempts to manipulate the files inside a project without Scrivener’s knowledge—things can get really messed up.

First, make sure Scrivener is closed, then duplicate the problem project. Right click (or Ctrl-click) on the project and choose “Show Package Contest”

You should see a bunch of RTFD files with numbers for names, and then some special files down at the bottom. These are various project settings, labels, Binder names, and so on. Forget about them, the numbered files are what you want to look at. Unless you have hundreds of them, I’d just select them all and open them with TextEdit or something equally light-weight. This will give you a quick look to see if there actually is any text left in your project.

If there is, you are in luck. You’ll have to make a new Scrivener project and salvage these files one by one, but at least your work isn’t gone.

If you don’t see any number files, or they are all empty, then something very odd has happened with your system. I have never seen Scrivener nuke the contents of documents like that, so it is “likely” you have some automated tool that really messed things up, or perhaps even a tool you ran, or something.

Hopefully that is not the case though, and you can get your work back into a new Scrivener project in short order. Easiest way to do that is to create a new Scrivener project, select all of these RTFD files again, and drag them all in to the Binder. Then you’ll have to re-organise everything again. Or, if you have an old backup of the project, you could use that as a starting point instead of a fresh project, and update the contents one by one.

Hello AmberV
Thank you for your help.
The rtfd files appear to have been corrupted. When I Control click on each of them and open the Show Package Contents, I get photographs of an art gallery in New York ! and some un related graphic illustrations.
If that wasn’t weird enough.
Another of the non rtfd files that are also in the package is Called " Binder Strings.xml" Which makes it a Final Cut Express file. Another is called “ui.xml”

All that I did, that might have caused this was to transfer files from one Scrivener project to another Scrivener project. And then delete to the main mac trash bucket the project that I no longer wanted. Both projets were both written in the same issue of Scrivener 1.03 If the database has been corrupted is there anything I can do? Thank you Robin

Hello Amber V ( Again ! )

I think that I have found a clue.
I have just been checking with a Scrivener Tutorial and it tells me that in the package some files are indeed correctly .xml files. As I have on my Hard Disk the programme Final Cut Express which is also .xml may this be causing the corruption? Maybe the trigger was my transferring the text from one Scivener project to another ? Is this possible?
If so is there a danger of there being other similar triggers awaiting the unwary who happens to make films as well as write scripts ?
I will be interested to have your thoughts.
Robin.

So, the RTFD files do not even have a “TXT.rtf” file inside them? Just image files? Very weird/bad. If those sub-files are gone then so is the data.

The two XML files you spotted are the Scrivener project itself. That is where all of your file names are stored, label colours, export settings, window sizes, all of that stuff. They are not really Final Cut files, it just so happens that on your system, FC has claimed them. XML is a standard data storage format that many thousands of programs use, including Scrivener.

Please describe what process you used to transfer the files from one project to another. Are we talking about opening two projects in Scrivener, and dragging from one Binder to another?

Yes you are right there is no text in the rtfd icons, just images.
So where are they ? Is it a clue that images have appeared in their stead?

When I am in the finder and click on Binder Strings.xml, which is in the package of the corrupted file, it launches Final Cut Express. Do I understand you to say that that is not an issue. It’s just that FCE uses that suffix, and Scrivener is not bothered, because its customers do not use it as an access code.
The process that I used to transfer text from one project to another was :-
I had both the projects open and selected passages of text from one and dragged them over to the other which was open.

Thank you Keith. That has worked perfectly.

Can you possibly also help me with my outstanding issue (Posted on Tues 21st August " Disappearing documents."?
I have discovered that the photographs that have replaced the RTFD text, come from a website, that I had the url for,included as a file in the binder of the same project that has become corrupted. Does that make sense ?
Thank you.
Robin

Could you possibly send me the project file? It is really difficult to tell what is going on here, I’m afraid…
Best,
Keith

Hello Keith.
I have just e-mailed you a reply with the project as an attachment.
Thank you.
Robin.