Disappearing Text / Docs

Hi,
My wife’s having a problem with Scrivener where whole paragraphs of typed text are disappearing when Scrivener is re-opened. Also, if she duplicates a doc in the binder (right click in binder, select duplicate) the copy either contains no text (except a single comma) or else the text appears to be from a different doc.
I have not noticed this behaviour in my recent Scrivener docs, but opening her file on my mac will reproduce the error.
She is stopping work in Scrivener until we can get to the bottom of this, so I would appreciate some help thanks. I will email the Scrivener file to Scrivener mac support so you can troubleshoot.

For any new or potential users reading this - don’t worry - errors of this kind in Scrivener are rare and usually quickly sorted out - it’s still the best writing software I know of!

Thanks

Hi,

I can’t see your project, have you sent it yet? Let me know when you have and I’ll look out for it.

Thanks!
Keith

Hi Keith,
Sent file to: mac.support address at 12.08.
Please let me know if it hasn’t got through and I will resend.
Thanks for your help.
S

Hi,

I’m afraid it doesn’t seem to have made it through - although it might just be a delay, as sometimes there can be a few hours before things get into the system. It still might be worth re-sending though. What subject did you use so that I can look out for it?

Thanks!
Keith

Hi Keith have reforwarded it. Subject:
Fwd: Text disappearing in Scrivener - bug?

Hi,

I’m not seeing it showing up in our support system, sorry. How big is the project? Could you please try sending it to kb-tech-support AT literatureandlatte DOT com instead (as long as the project is under 50MB)?

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

Will do. File 525kb.
Thanks Keith.
S

Keith,
db.tt/vVuwRzVX

Have drop boxed it for you just in case.
Best,
S

Hi,

Okay, I think I’ve found the problem. At some point - I’m not sure how - and old file inside the project has not been deleted. This file contains nothing but a single comma. Then, when you try to create a new document or duplicate an existing one, this file, which has the same internal ID as the new file created, will show up instead.

Scrivener has a way of detecting problems such as this and fixing them, but it seems that you have turned it off for this project (most likely accidentally - easily done). You can easily turn it on again, though. To do so, close the project, and then hold down the Option key on your keyboard while opening the project again (by double-clicking in the Finder, using File > Recent Projects, or whatever). Keep the Option key held down until the project launches - you will see a “Files were recovered” error message. All this means is that Scrivener has scoured through the project looking for conflicts. Any text files saved inside the .scriv package that don’t have a representation in the binder - which was the problem here - will appear in a “_Recovered Files” directory. You can then just delete that directory and continue using the project safe in the knowledge that any problems have been eradicated. (Usually you would look through that directory to ensure there is nothing important in there, but in this case it’s just that one file containing the comma or speech mark.)

I’m not sure how the conflict would have occurred in the first place - most likely a syncing error or a temporary hard disk glitch. It’s rare, but not unheard of, hence Scrivener has this mechanism to fix it.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith - I will follow your instructions.
I think this must have happened to several files as there was other text appearing instead of the comma (at times). Any idea how this safeguard could have been turned off and is there anything I can do to prevent this happening by accident in future?
Thanks,
Stuart

At some point your wife must have had the Option key held down while opening a project - holding the Option key down while a project is opened toggles this option for the project.

It looks as though any other files that were causing problems have been destroyed, at least in the project supplied, but either way, turning this safeguard back on should fix things.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith - I will pass this info on. I deleted all the other files before sharing the file (she didn’t want me emailing her manuscript!), but I assume turning on the safeguard feature as you suggest will sort out any existing problems in the other scenes within the file?
Thanks
Stuart

Indeed - turning the safeguard on should sort out all such issues.
All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

My wife’s still getting odd / inconsistent behaviour in her scrivener document and is too afraid of losing stuff to continue using it. I suspect there is corruption in her file that Scrivener can’t sort out. Before she gives up on Scrivener, I’m going to try exporting all files in the sciv doc project, creating a new project and importing (maybe cut and paste) all the scenes back in.

A couple of questions.

1. How can I tell that scrivener’s corruption-sorting mode is turned on (thing I might have enabled/disabled with option key). I can’t see any indication if this on or off.
  2. When either of us open our scrivener projects (in Lion) the project opens then appears to disappear for a split second, before opening a second time with a Lion zoom animation. Is this a known weirdness with Lion or bug we should worry about?

Thanks Keith.