Discovering the joy of writing a Novel

Just need somebody to know that until yesterday I really feared to rewrite a screenplay I wrote some years ago into a novel. I tried it several times, but never ever I have been able to … well, convert the images I did have in my mind while writing the play to the much more elaborate words I thought would be necessary for a novel.

Yesterday, however, I somehow found a clue. I had exactly nothing to do for the day. The day before I repaired some items in my household and - since it has been a busy week for me - decided to sit in my garden and to read something I read 20 years ago. During a reading break, I decided to look into my MacBook and, after some sorting of files, I re-discovered the remnants of my novel-writing attempts.

One week ago, my wife and I had a nice, little party. It was quite sunny outside, and we had about 30 guests, some old and rarely seen friends did show up. Two of them asked me about the screenplay - I did sent them a pretty much unfinished copy years ago; they wanted to know how the story would go on. On this same evening I got rather drunk and forgot about them.

It was really fascinating, I reopened these old files and suddenly I remembered that little chat with them. So I sat down and simply startet writing. And wrote for hours, six in a row. It was fun, really. All the little fears I had about novel writing just vanished. After those hours of writing, I closed the lid of my Macbook and felt… alive, refreshed, eager to go on.

Wonder what kind of drugs I had…

You`ve sound as though you became inebriated after a judicious and obviously therapeutic liaison with the ‘Holy Distillation’… [size=85](Jameson Irish Whiskey)[/size]

Happy Renaissance zikade

Take care
vic

Since we are talking about it … can you recommend a good one? I recently had some bottles of Bowmore’s - which I enjoyed all alone, since my wife sniffed once and said something about a horse’s saddle - but they are empty and since I am without any knowledge (and taste as well, I think - just a novice student in that area) I could really, really need some advice…

zikade,
Jameson, is the most ‘popular’, Irish Whiskey in the World (fact), but that doesnt mean its the best. Bowmores is a Scotch Whisky ( notice the difference in the spelling). Not being a connoisseur of either Scotch or Irish Whiskies I cant speak authoritatively.

Ill recommend one of each. Try Jameson, its a good ‘all rounder’. Its great neat, or with a wee drop of water, as ‘sippin` liquor’. It makes the best Irish Coffees. And, finally, it makes great ‘Hot Ones’, or ‘Hot Toddies’. Four capfuls of Jameson; one slice of lemon; little sugar to taste; a couple of cloves (optional), and boiling water. Gorgeous just before bedtime.

My favourite Scotch is The Glenlivit. Pure ‘Sippin` Liquor’, this one. Tell your wife that Aphrodite used to rub it all over her body before engaging in Gymnasticated Fornication.
Acording to Greek Fokelore it worked wonders for flagging libidinal energy.

If I was like you, on a learning curve, Id start by comparing the Bowmores with The Glenlivit. There are lots of good sites on the web, for whisk(e)y. Then try a couple of the Irish Whiskies. Including Jameson of course :smiling_imp:
Take care
Vic

As far as Irish whiskey goes, forget about Jameson’s and Bushmills. Find a bottle of The Tyrconnell. It’s single malt.

However, the drug our friend (as we say down south) got a hold of was the Alpha state. There is no greater drug.

I’m also a fan of both Irish whiskey and Scotch single malts. A few years ago, a friend put me onto Bushmill’s ten year old, one of the few Irish single malts that you can actually find here and there. Initially I turned up my nose. Jeez, just ten years old? Not even very expensive? Can’t be much, huh? Then he gave me a couple of bottles and I discovered how wrong I was. Lovely drop. Smooth, slightly sweet rather than peaty, altogether downright lyrical.

Well over twenty rears ago, a colleague and I were discussing our relative preferences in whiskies. He was far more knowledgeable than I, on the subject. His sister held a senior management position with one of the big distilleries. She had told him, that, after a certain period of time, the ageing process has no discernible affect on alcoholic beverages whatsoever. The time scale she was talking about was approx. 4 years. I don`t know how accurate this is. I do know that the higher the number of years on the bottle, the greater the number of shekels required to purchase it. Makes you wonder :question: :wink:
Vic

And here I thought it would remain in the barrel during the ageing process, not the bottle.

I wasnt inferring that the ageing process took place in any particular location (bottle or cask), only that according to my source of information, after four years, it wont improve, one way or another. Personally I ve always assumed it matures in a barrel or cask. I also pointed out, that I cant vouch for the accuracy of the info. I can however vouch for the unimpeachable integrity of the guy sharing that info with me.

Over the intervening years, I`ve heard references to this very topic, albeit not very many, but making assertions of a vaguely similar nature.

But!! at the end of the day, it doesnt matter how old it is, if [i]'you',[/i] dont enjoy the the imbibing experience, then it may as well be 4/8/12/18/20 year old crap, as far as youre concerned. :wink:
Take Care
vic

Distilled spirits age in barrels. The purpose of aging is to mellow and flavor the spirit as aromatic compounds are absorbed from the wood. There’s also a concentrating effect as liquid is lost to evaporation through the porous wood. (This effect is part of why older spirits are so much more expensive. There’s simply less available.) None of that happens in bottles–once a distilled spirit is bottled, aging stops. With distilled spirits, it’s simple enough (though expensive) to do a blind taste test to decide for yourself how much aging matters.

Wine ages in bottles. Aging allows the gradual breakdown of tannins and other compounds in the wine. With wines, the comparison is more likely to be between different years from the same vintage, and therefore less accurate. Still, in my experience the effects of extreme aging (10-15 years or so) are quite obvious in wine, too obvious to be the difference between “good” and “bad” years.

Katherine

Where did your husband find you!! He was definitely on a winning streak when he did!! :smiley:
vic

My half-Irish, half-Russian husband would also wholeheartedly recommend the Jameson’s! 8)

Half Irish-half Russian!!! :open_mouth:
Those poor Carpenter ants don`t stand a chance :frowning: :laughing:

At the end of the day, it all boils down to one`s taste buds, I guess.
take care
Vic

And here I was expecting an exciting discussion about the joys of writing… now I know how you all get your ‘joy’ :smiley:

Nonsense. Finding the right ‘spirit’ is hard and dirty work - especially if one tries too hard to find the right ‘spirit’.

It seems clear that finding spirits is one thing none of you have any problem with! :wink:

Those of us who can’t “find” them, make them.

I had the privilege of a little shiner over vacation (why I have been “absent” lately). I figure the headache and inability to walk a straight line will wear off in about 2 years.

Ah, I know the answer. What made all the difference is that someone actually cared. People do not recognize the power of caring. What ignited the spark in you was when the two friends wanted to know how the story would go on. I could probably write a whole article about the power of caring and giving feedback to other people, and maybe some day I will, if anybody cares to hear about it :wink:.

Go ahead, please. I’d love to read about it.

A good writing session, or the feeling thereafter can be quite an intoxicating rush. Even more so if you’d actually been dreading the thought of doing it for one reason or another.