Distinct ISBN field in Metadata for different formats

Hi,

Since distinct ISBNs are required for different formats, it’d be swell if Compile for .mobi and .epub could remember different ISBNs.

Thanks!

Dinah

You should enter the ISBN in the “Use custom unique identifier” field - that is customarily where ISBNs are placed in e-books.

All the best,
Keith

Right. I do, and I appreciate having the field, but when I compile for .epub (using a remembered My Format) and put in the .epub’s ISBN, then I compile for .mobi (ditto) and put in the .mobi’s ISBN, and then go back after some edits to compile for .epub again, the ISBN is now the .mobi’s not the .epub’s.

I can work around it by remembering to check and edit that field every single time I compile, but computers are usually better at remembering the right multi-digit numbers than I am.

:slight_smile:
Dinah

Just to let you know that in the next update, ePub and Kindle formats will remember the unique ID separately, so that you can enter a different ISBN for each and have them remembered.

All the best,
Keith

Woot! Thank you, Mr. Responsive!

p.s. The book (Discardia: More Life, Less Stuff) has just gone up for sale on Amazon for Kindle this morning and is on its way in epub for iBookstore and Barnes & Noble. The .mobi format required no additional hand-holding or formatting after export from Scrivener once I’d gotten to settings/styling that tested well. The epub was spit back from iBookstore until I cleaned up spaces in the file names (“Pasted Graphic 1.png”), but I was able to use Stuffit to unzip the epub, edit the files manually, and recompress with ePub Zip and then it was accepted. I will write up my full process later in the month after the book launch wildness calms down. :slight_smile: Thanks for a great and essential part of making my book a reality!

That’s interesting - so iBookStore requires images to have no spaces in their file names? I can clean that up in the compile process if that’s the case.

Good luck with the book, by the way!

All the best,
Keith