distinction between "text" and "notes"

I would like to see a visual difference between “text” and “notes” if that makes any sense so that I can refer to my notes for a section of the book which would look definitely different than actual writing. hope you can understand this as I don’t know if I explained very clearly.

No, sorry, I don’t understand… Your notes appear in the right pane and have a grey background by default, so it’s already pretty obvious where they are.

If, on the other hand, you mean having a different icon for items that you designate as notes in the binder as opposed to your real text, that would be very limiting. Currently Scrivener is flexible enough to allow you to do whatever you want with text documents. All it does is tell you the difference between a text document and a PDF document or whatever; it has no business trying to tell you what you should use each document kind for. Hope that makes sense. If I misunderstood you, please clarify.

Best,
Keith

okay, let me try to explain what I meant. something like Stickies (the software kind, not the kind you buy an office supply store) as opposed to a Word document, where a standard Scrivener text would represent a Word document and the note would stand in for the Sticky.

You could set your notes pane to a yellow background in the preferences and it would look more like a sticky. Would that help?

While we’re at it, wouldn’t it be nice to have some sort of footnote folding in Scrivener (just like in Emacs, Vim, Eclipse and Lyx)?

Lol, you have no idea how many times this has been discussed on this forum, and how many times I have explained why this isn’t really possible. :slight_smile: Please check out the FAQ, for instance. Footnote folding is technically very difficult and would involve all sorts of problems (for instance, losing the undo stack). Scrivener uses the OS X text system, which means that implementing folding footnotes/annotations would involve hacking that. Please search the forums for more detailed explanations I have given in the past. The short answer is, “Yes, it would be nice, but no, it’s not going to happen.” However, 1.1 - out in a few days - has a “Ghost Notes Mode”, whereby footnotes and annotations get faded out if you are not editing them. Sounds odd, but it does make them less distracting and easier to skip over whilst reading.

Best,
Keith

the notes pane has no independent existence, it just opens when you open a regular document.

Have you explored the scratch-pad?

Mark

I don’t really see any need for a “stickies” type document, I’m afraid. You can already use text documents in any way that you wish, so you already have all the functionality you need… You can always assign them a yellow label and set the icons to be tinted by the label colour, so that you can see that note documents are the yellow ones in the binder, or whatever.
All the best,
Keith

Oops! I’m sorry. I searched the forum for this feature, but somehow missed the relevant threads.

No problem - the forum search feature isn’t the best in the world. Collapsible footnotes and annotations is something I would love to implement in the future, but in the past I have spent days and weeks trying it out only to run into technical brick walls. I hope to give it more attention when 2.0 comes around (a long way off, which is why we have Ghost Notes in the meantime…).
All the best,
Keith

as a matter of fact, no I hadn’t, though I know it exists. I tried to find it yesterday and got distracted or something. will try again today.

Select menu item Window, Show Scratch Pad or command /. You can adjust it’s size and move it around easily, also create or append notes in the binder from it.

It’s good to hear that you haven’t given up entirely on the idea :smiley: It would make Scrivener even more attractive for academic writing.