.dmg "No Mountable File Systems"

I’ve tried downloading the .dmg several times, from Safari, Chrome, Firefox and finally via IE (on a completely separate machine). Each was tried from a reset state and each results in exactly as above.

“No mountable file systems” when I try to mount the image to install.

Went to Disk Utils and tried to verify, then repair the disk. This is the resulting error.

Am I just SOL here?

How big is the downloaded .dmg? It should be around 22–23mb. If it is significantly smaller, you have a partial download. This is the number one reason for this type of error.

Each browser produced a 22.7mb download, and continues to today. Still having no luck mounting the dmg.

I’ve tried just about everything I can think of.

I have tried every download link, across multiple browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, IE, wget command) on 3 platforms (OSX, w7 x64, fBSD). Each time I download a 22.7mb file, that appears around 23.8mb on disk. Every single DMG I have downloaded for Scrivener gives me the same “No mountable file systems” error. I have downloaded a handful of other DMGs from various programs that all mount correctly.

If this is not due diligence, I don’t know what is. I do not know of any other things to try.

Hi,

23.8MB is the correct file size, so it seems that the error lies with mounting it on your machine. The problem is most likely on your machine seeing as no one else has reported this problem, so it should just be a matter of finding out what is causing it on your account. Two things to try:

1. Create a new user account on your machine (just for testing purposes), download, and try mounting the disk there. Creating a new user account just shows what will happen when you download and install on a clean account. If it succeeds there, then it is something in your main account causing the problems.

2. Could you please try downloading any other DMG (for instance, one of the trials from the Omni site, www.omnigroup.com), and see if it will mount for you.

Let me know your results.
Thanks,
Keith

1. Tested a fresh account. Exact same error there.

2. Able to mount all dmg’s from Omni, Panic and a few others.

Since you were OK with the user account I think you will be ok with the following:

Figure out where the files is on your system. I will assume that it is in the Downloads folder in your Home directory

Open Terminal: Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal
Type

cksum Downloads/Scrivener.dmg

That will spit out some gibberish. Please post that gibberish here.

Posting for posterity. This is all that terminal spits out.

871749392 23780510 Downloads/Scrivener.dmg

Any ideas what is up with the .dmg’s from just this site?

Ioa contacted me and sent me a .zip instead of a .dmg, which worked.

That’s the same exact DMG we all have, down to the byte. There must be something esoteric in the way that thing was made that is fouling up on your computer—some OS extension, or something. Here’s another thing to try, mount the dmg on the command line in verbose mode:

hdiutil attach Scrivener.dmg -Verbose

It was made using FileStorm, which is a standard program on OS X for creating disk images - very odd. If nothing works I’ll upload a .zip version for you to download instead.

Wait. Are you running some type of mac antivirus software? Say Norton?

That was my first thought, too, Jaysen, but it turns out he not only tried five or six different browsers on the Mac, but five or six different browsers on Windows and a BSD installation as well, including just wget.

So… I’m guessing there is something wrong with the OS, and hopefully that command above will provide a clue.

I wasn’t thinking of browser interaction as the issue (the check sum checked) but that the AV might be blocking the mount as an “untrusted source”. Kind of like norton was doing with the win install.

Sorry about the delay in reply. Ioa actually already got me a zip file which worked great. I’ve been busy playing with the new features, but I wanted to post what I can here so the the problem can be solved.

I have no AV running, so I’m guessing it is some OS issue.

Verbose command

Initializing… DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 0, score 100, CBSDBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 1, score -1000, CBundleBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 2, score -1000, CRAMBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 3, score 100, CCarbonBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 4, score -1000, CDevBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 5, score -1000, CCURLBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 6, score -1000, CVectoredBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: selecting CBSDBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 0, score 100, CBSDBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 1, score -1000, CBundleBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 2, score -1000, CRAMBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 3, score 100, CCarbonBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 4, score -1000, CDevBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 5, score -1000, CCURLBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: interface 6, score -1000, CVectoredBackingStore DIBackingStoreInstantiatorProbe: selecting CBSDBackingStore DIFileEncodingInstantiatorProbe: interface 0, score -1000, CMacBinaryEncoding DIFileEncodingInstantiatorProbe: interface 1, score -1000, CAppleSingleEncoding DIFileEncodingInstantiatorProbe: interface 2, score -1000, CEncryptedEncoding DIFileEncodingInstantiatorProbe: nothing to select. DIFileEncodingInstantiatorProbe: interface 0, score 900, CUDIFEncoding DIFileEncodingInstantiatorProbe: selecting CUDIFEncoding DIFileEncodingNewWithBackingStore: CUDIFEncoding DIFileEncodingNewWithBackingStore: instantiator returned 0 DIFileEncodingInstantiatorProbe: interface 0, score -1000, CSegmentedNDIFEncoding DIFileEncodingInstantiatorProbe: interface 1, score -1000, CSegmentedUDIFEncoding DIFileEncodingInstantiatorProbe: interface 2, score -1000, CSegmentedUDIFRawEncoding DIFileEncodingInstantiatorProbe: nothing to select. DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: interface 0, score 0, CDARTDiskImage DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: interface 1, score 0, CDiskCopy42DiskImage DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: interface 2, score -1000, CNDIFDiskImage DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: interface 3, score 1000, CUDIFDiskImage CRawDiskImage: data fork length 0x000000000169A75E (23701342) not a multiple of 512. DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: interface 5, score -100, CRawDiskImage DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: interface 6, score -100, CShadowedDiskImage DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: interface 7, score 0, CSparseDiskImage DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: interface 8, score 0, CSparseBundleDiskImage DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: interface 9, score -1000, CCFPlugInDiskImage DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: interface 10, score -100, CWrappedDiskImage DIDiskImageInstantiatorProbe: selecting CUDIFDiskImage DIDiskImageNewWithBackingStore: CUDIFDiskImage DIDiskImageNewWithBackingStore: instantiator returned 0

Skipped License —

Agree Y/N? Y Finishing software license… Error 0 (Unknown error: 0). Verifying… Finishing… DIHLDiskImageAttach() returned 108 hdiutil: attach canceled

That’s pretty much everything it printed. Out of my understanding, now :stuck_out_tongue:

That looks like a problem with the kernel driver for disk images. But that doesn’t make sense though as other dmg mount including the one Ioa sent.

Hmmm…

Well I sent him a zip file just to reduce as many complications as possible. I have heard of spotty results with a degraded sub-system for mounting virtual disks. Probably nothing to worry about unless it starts happening a lot. I would worry a bit more if you use FileVault or Time Capsule.

Hello:

I’m new to Scrivener but have done lots of research about it.
After recently decided that I’ll give it a try to help my writing process, I tried to download the trial version, just to see if I like it before I buy it, but I can’t even install it on my mac. :frowning:

I have the exact same problem with the first author of this post “No Mountable File Systems” after I download both trial version of the software.
Would really like to start trying it, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yes, please download the Zip file version instead of the DMG. There are two versions, one for 10.4 and 10.5 Macs, and another for newer Macs:

The installation instructions differ, since Zip files produce their contents when you double-click on them, rather than opening a new window. Simply drag-and-drop the Scrivener icon that will appear to your Applications folder to install it. You can then safely delete the .zip file or set it aside for safekeeping.

Wow! Thank you thank you thank you!
The link you gave me worked just fine.
Off to my first Scrivenering … :smiley: