.doc .docx converter - Unknow error

I’ve been using the windows beta for a while and purchased the official release when it came out. Until now I have held off importing my longer more complete works into scrivener to work on.

Today I decided to import the 26 files which make up a novel manuscript that I have.

17 of the files imported fine, 9 came up with two error messages:

One standard windows one which said “Conversion Engine for Doc and Docx to Rtf has encountered a problem and needs to close.”

And a second which said "Could not import file " and “Error: Unknown Error.”

I then tried to import individual files but got the same error.

All of the files contain similar things, so I’m not sure if it’s something to do with the files I’m trying to import. With no information in the error it’s hard to know where to start.

Does anyone know if there is a known cause for this error?

If you wouldn’t mind sending one of the .doc/x files that isn’t working to us, that would probably help. I’m not sure how much control we have over this import engine though as it is a third-party tool. What you can do in the meantime which should work is use Word to save the messed up ones as RTF, and then import those that way.

You can send any attachments to support [at] literatureandlatte [dot] com.

Are there fancy things in the documents like tables or other drawings? That can cause this problem for the import tool, and frankly even if you do get the document into Scrivener, if it’s a really complicated table or diagram, it usually does not convert well to RTF. Things like that are better dropped into the Projet References so you can open the file externally when you need to reference it, or saved as a PDF or image to import into Scrivener just for viewing.