Document history in composition mode

I sometimes find myself wanting to switch back and forth between a subdocument with notes or an outline and my current position in the actual manuscript. In non-composition mode, I can use the document history shortcuts for that, but they don’t work in composition mode. I’m not sure if that’s intentional or just an oversight, but it seems like a useful and easy addition.

Also, it would be nice to have a “quick switch” document history shortcut that goes to the last document I was on, ignoring history. Usually a shorcut like this is bound to Ctrl-Tab or Command-~. The difference between this and the history shortcuts is that the history shortcuts always go backwards in history, whereas the “quick switch” shortcut would toggle back and forth between the same two documents. This way I don’t have to remember whether my manuscript is “forward” in history or “backward” relative to my notes–I just have to hit the quick switch shortcut.

If there are solutions for either of these already, I’d love to hear about them!

That is intentional for the reason that Composition Mode, just as with the two individual splits, has its own history queue. Its queue a bit different in that it flushes the it from memory every time you exit the mode, but it will track your navigation (via the View/Go To/ menu, or its shortcut in the Composition control strip at the bottom of the screen) within a single session. It also has one additional novel feature: you can load the queue up in advance. If you select multiple items and enter Composition with that selection (make sure not to have Scrivenings mode active, otherwise you’ll just get that), then each item will be available through the history queue.

As for sharing the full history queue with the editor—well first there is the problem of which editor, especially if invoked from the Binder—but there is also an issue with editor histories containing far more information than it could work with, such as view modes, group views, Collection listings and so forth. As a text-only editor, it isn’t really compatible, and besides as a design goal, it is meant to in a way cut you off from the main project window and put you in an isolated working environment.

Those shortcuts are already in use for fairly standard functions. The latter flips between open projects and QuickReference panels, the former cycles the cursor between the binder and both splits (or just back and forth without a split view).

That aside it’s not a bad idea in and of itself. We in fact played with the concept in an early beta of Scrivener for iOS, where a system like this stood as a replacement to a full history feature. In practice it didn’t really replace full history adequately, so the concept was abandoned and extra work was put in to implement a proper multi-entry list. Maybe some day we’ll find a way to work it in as an alternative on macOS. :slight_smile: