document links

Hi, I’m trying to set up a link to a One Note file. I tested it in Word and it works but In Scrivener it didn’t.

I used edit-> add link and copied the location in. I tried it with the file and with no prefix.
It looks like it will work - all blue and underlined. When I look under edit again, it is shows ‘edit link’ or unlink. and when I right click I see ‘unlink’ at the bottom of the list. So, I think I’ve got a link there.

I’ve tried double clicking, and control click but the link won’t open.

I don’t know if it’s me, or if it’s broken. But it would be really helpful if I could link back to the research and planning I already have in One Note.

BTW - I love the new version. Can’t wait to buy it.

I have a sort-of related question. Not sure how it’s supposed to work, so don’t know if it’s broke or if my expectations are off.

Have a couple of imported webpages. Assumed that when I clicked on the links in them, they’d open the page in my web browser. As far as I can tell, though they appear clickable, nothing happens.

Actually, let me clarify that. Some links work, I just this moment discovered. Links that are external to that website work, and open right in the same place in Scrivener. Links that are internal to that website (Wikipedia’s internal links) don’t work.

Seems like the file path isn’t put in right. Trying this out, I had to tweak it a little. It should start with “file:///” but you’ll note that using the “file” prefix actually puts in “file://” so if, as seems likely, your copied path begins just with the drive letter, you need to manually insert an extra backslash (or type the entire prefix yourself and use “no prefix”). Once I did that my linked file opened as expected, so see if that works for you.

On that note, however, this is exactly the sort of thing the project and document references are for, and it’s easy to just drag and drop the file from Windows Explorer into the references panel. Have you tried that? They’ll automatically load in the external program when you double-click the icon.

Interesting. I’m getting the same “load in the editor” behavior, but I’m getting it for the internal links as well–e.g. Wikipedia bookmarks from the TOC will jump me to that part of the page, right there in the editor.

Interestingly, the forward/backward document history buttons don’t work to go back to the previous webpage; all the webpages viewed are treated as a single document, and hitting the back button takes you to the last document loaded before you loaded the original webpage.

I’m not 100% sure how it’s supposed to work, but if the Mac version is a fair model, then this behavior is unexpected. Clicking links of imported pages in the Mac version 2 will open the link in your default browser–including internal links.

For the wikipedia pages, the internal links are showing as file:///wiki/whateverhere, where the external links only have two of the forward slashes, so I suspect that has something to do with it?

Yep, that would do it. How are you importing the webpages? That may make a difference. (It shouldn’t, of course, but it might be at the moment.) I was just dragging from Chrome and dumping into the Research folder of the binder. I’ll test later with using the “import” feature.

Thanks, I inserted the extra slash and the link worked. You mention project references but I can’t see that in my version of Scrivener - although I’m using the manuscript format so perhaps that doesn’t have references. I tried to drag the One Note content into a research doc but it wouldn’t go.

Project and Document References are part of all Scrivener projects. Use View>Layout>Show Inspector if that isn’t invisible, then show the references by clicking the second tab in the inspector footer (with the icon of several books). You should then see the references in the bottom section of the binder, titled either “Document References” or “Project References”–you can toggle between them by clicking the title bar in the inspector pane (you should see up and down triangles beside the title to indicate you can do this). If no document is selected in the binder or if multiple documents are selected, you’ll just see the project references.

Project references thus can be always accessed, no matter what document you’re looking at; document references are specific to each document, so you’ll only see Document A’s references when looking at Document A and only see Document B’s references when looking at Document B, etc.

You can add references to external files and webpages as well as to internal documents. Just drag and drop the file into the reference pane or use the “+” button in the reference header to look up or type in a reference.

Hmm. Perry, Mouton, I have it working here on OneNote 2007, after a fashion.

There are not files in the sense of Word, but there are paragraphs, pages, sections, and notebooks, none of which you address directly, but the links do.

If you click in a paragraph, you can right mouse or use the Edit menu, and choose Copy Hyperlink to this Paragraph.

You can paste the link into a Scrivener text, or you can paste it into a newly created and opened Reference. I’ll come back to that.

You can access the link simply by clicking on it in Scrivener editor proper - it looks like a hyperlink with blue underlined text, and works that way. Or you can access a reference link by double-clicking the little ball (world probably) on the left-hand side.

The result will usually be to drop you in the page, and this level of action is dependable, though I have page that exhibits a long delay (10 sec) and then opens, complaining in an alert that it can’t find what your link specifically points to.

Once in a while, and so far as I can see, just after you’ve created the link in Scrivener text, using it will go straight to the correct paragraph, and select it entirely. But this soon goes away, and you are back to reaching the page, which is still useful.

The links pasted into Word work 100%; there you control-click them to use. The contents of the link are visible in a number of places, including within Scrivener references, and they always look complete and correcty: there are explicit notebook, section, page, and paragraph references in it, and they never look crushed.

So it is a working feature, but at the moment, not quite more than ‘just’.

How to get a OneNote link in References. Use the little menu to Create External Reference. Then double-click the Reference in the middle, away from the ball on left side. It will open, and allow you to paste the link in from OneNote, and also type a name for it above.

That’s what I could do.

Regards,
Clive

Thanks, I got the link working by using the extra / as suggested. I did finally find the references by clicking on the icon in the editor. I haven’t tried dropping a link into the references because creating a new document under research and putting a link in there works best for me.