Document title as document header

I like using the Outline mode to start brainstorming content and structure.

How can I then automatically have each document title appear as a content header in the editor?

I don’t want to copy/paste for hundreds of outline notes/index cards.

Thank you.

I don’t think there’s a way to do that in batches. However, my guess is that you don’t really need that to happen. You can always include the title at compile time just like if it were a part of the regular document text, and the Mac version will even allow you to see the document title in Scrivenings mode…

This is correct, there is no batch version for that operation since headings are typically (and optimally) added during compilation, using the Formatting pane. Here you can globally set the formatting by heading depth. Headings can be added at any outline indent level, and independently to any icon type (folder/file/file stack). The main reason for not doing that is if you want your actual published headings to differ from the outline headings (perhaps you use the outline for internal annotation alone), so then in that case there still would be no need for a function that pushes titles into the text.

Thank you r6d2 and AmberV. Much appreciated.

I think its moreso about getting used to the idiosyncracies of Scrivener writing, not seeing the heading in the editor view as you’re writing. I thought it would help as a focus tool having the heading/sub-heading there but I’ll have to adapt by having it in the adjacent outline view pane.

Thank you!

Well one thing to note, if you are using Scrivenings mode to view several sections at once, you can enable headings, using the outline titles, with Format/Options/Show Title in Scrivenings.

Brilliant AmberV! Thank you for this tip! Very helpful.

Note that the header bar at the top of the editor window shows the title of the current document.

Also, the Inspector panel shows the title and synopsis of the current document in any of the Inspector views except the Snapshot and Comments/Footnotes views. That’s handy if you don’t want to dedicate the screen space needed to keep the full Outline view open.

Katherine