Documents not collapsing in binder

I’m on iOS only.
I have created documents and nested other documents beneath them. The top level document has the circle with the arrow in. However the binder shows all the nested documents too, ie I can’t collapse them from view. And so my binder is very long! It is working fine for folders. And oddly when I am in the view that shows the sun-documents only (ie I tapped the arrow in the circle), if I have a third level it works fine, ie I can see the arrow and circle and the sub-documents don’t appear until I tap the arrow. This is how I expected the binder to work?

From the Tutorial document titled “Working with Documents”:

Is “Collapse” working for you?

Thank you yes that’s done it. Not very intuitive but hey ho! What’s the logic of having the cork board image for folders? It’s not like it ions the documents within on a corkboard as the draft folder does? Unless I’m missing something as that would be useful!

You’re welcome. When I started, what was helpful to me was to go through the Tutorial a few times. After the first, I exercised it like my own project–moved things around, marked things up, added working folders and documents, exported and compiled, etc. The Tutorial can be easily returned to its original form. I still revisit it as needed and even go through it in its entirety now and again. I get through it much faster now, of course. It’s helpful for me, especially after being away from iOS for long periods, to reacquaint myself to the App’s terminologies and methodologies. There’s a lot packed into its small appearance.

I don’t understand the meaning of this, I suspect mostly because of what I’ve edited to boldface. As far as I know, the Corkboard has the same function whatever the parent folder. So you don’t possibly miss out on something that might be useful to you, perhaps rephrase the post. Someone may be able to clear things up for you.

Sorry that was supposed to say icon.
Thank you for your help. I agree about the tutorial. I find a lot of not very intuitive but move I’ve worked it out (or been given help!) it seems intuitive! I think it just works differently to my brain. Thanks again.

I know what you mean about getting our brain to sync with the logic of the presentation. Sounds that you travel with the perseverance necessary to achieve your goals. Hats off to you.

I’m still not absolutely sure what your understanding (or question, if one still exists) is about Corkboard icons. However, there is something that has tripped me up on occasion that you might find instructive. I’ll use the included Tutorial to demonstrate.

Draft > The Main Interface

On the left side of the binder row there’s a small document icon superimposed on the usual folder icon. That means that “The Main Interface” folder has text of its own.

The right side of the row can have either a corkboard icon or a document icon. After you tap on the icon, the editor opens showing respectively a corkboard or text entry. To change what is shown from one to the other––at the top of the editor, next to the folder title, tap the corkboard or document icon. This will also change the icon on the right side of “The Main Interface” binder row.

Good luck…

[As an aside––since in Scrivener a document can be converted to a folder (and folder to document), you could fill a container document with associated scenes, then convert it to a folder so as to see the scenes on a corkboard. I’ve found this versatility useful.]