Does 'BackLink' work when creating document references?

First of all, Scrivener for Windows is great! I’ve used most of the writing programs on the market and have now been using Scrivener for several months. It surpasses all the opposition - at least in my opinion. However, I do have a question. After reading the doc and perusing this forum, I’ve discovered that one way to associate characters and locations with a scene is to add them as a document reference for that scene (i.e., create an internal ‘link’). If I understand the documentation correctly, this will also create a ‘backlink’ to the scene in the document reference section of the associated character or location. The creation of that ‘backlink’ is what doesn’t work for me. I think I’m doing it right - the ‘link’ is created just fine, but no ‘backlink’ in the character or location document reference area. I’d appreciate any help. I’m running Windows XP/SP3.

Thanks,
Dick

Back-links are implemented yet. Do you recall which portion of the documentation stated otherwise? I’d like to get that fixed. If you can’t remember no big deal, I’ll find it. :slight_smile:

For now you have to just do this by hand. Click through on the link you created, and then drag the source item into the link target’s Reference pane.

Hi, and thanks for the quick response. I believe it was in a post somewhere on this forum, and it’s possible that it was directed only at the Mac version of Scrivener. I’m not sure.

Okay! Thanks. I’ll run a check anyway to make sure it’s clear.

Just wondering - do you know if there are any future plans to implement a simpler mechanism for associating characters, locations, etc. with scenes, each other, and visa-versa?

One more quick question - are there any plans to implement some type of easily referenced time-line - something that would let the writer track the dates and times of when scenes occur as well as their duration?

In my very humble opinion, these two additions would elevate Scrivener from simply spectacular to very nearly perfect.

Thanks again for any consideration.

Dick

I’ll point you to the blog on the matter of timelines. The post is in regards to what is now the current version on the Mac, so ignore all of that. Just skip down to the portions on timelines to hear Keith’s view on why he feels it isn’t the right thing for this software:

literatureandlatte.com/blog/?p=104

On the other matter, what do you mean by having an easier system? Are there any particular aspects of the current mechanisms that you find lacking? For example, I find throwing a character keyword into relevant items and then setting up a saved search collection for that character to be very low bandwidth. It’s easy to maintain; easy to look up later; and provides an informative set of data once you do look it up. And that is just one way to go about tracking things of this nature.

Thanks again for the speedy response. I appreciate your position (and Keith’s position) on timelines, and I think I understand (at least fundamentally) the issues with implementing a time-line function and trying to integrate it with the existing organizational structure of Scrivener. I would certainly agree that there is no way to maintain a tightly-integrated structure, and that’s not what I had in mind. I think the best example I could provide of the kind of time-line I envision is the time-line currently provided in the program StoryBook. I’m familiar with Writer’s Cafe so I understand the reference to it in the post, but I think the time-line implementation in StoryBook is even more comprehensive. Granted, it would probably need to be a completely separate function, and that may, indeed, diminish the value of having it in the same program. I guess I was just being a little selfish. For me it would be infinitely useful, since I use StoryBook, in concert with Scrivener, for that very purpose, right now. Like I said, I understand your position, and Scrivener will remain my writing program of choice - with or without a time-line.

Regarding the association of characters, locations, etc. with scenes, I think the best example I can provide comes, once again, from the implementations I’ve seen in a couple of other programs - yWriter and iWriterPro. The iWriterPro implementation is, in my estimation, exceptionally simple and useful.

I’ve only been using Scrivener for a few months and have been anxiously awaiting the ‘ready for prime time’ release of the Windows version. Because of my limited use, it’s very possible that there are many methods and techniques for accomplishing things (like character and location association) that I may find just as simple as the implementations noted. So, my inquiries here may, in the end, be pointless. If that should be the case, I apologize in advance, but I figured it was worth asking, just in case.

In any event, thanks again for taking the time to respond, and keep up the fine work with Scrivener. I’ve already pre-paid for the November 7th release.

Dick

Have they been implemented? On either platform?

PlottingJumpToCharacters

1 Like

@drmajorbob: Have they been implemented? On either platform?

They have been in the software for years (for even longer even than this ancient thread), and more recently in v3 for Windows. Refer to Appendix B.4.2, Document Links, for the settings that enable them (they are by default), and Links are Circular, in the introduction to creating document links, §10.1.1.

1 Like