Does Scri use resource fork in it's document files?

Just wondering if I can trust Mozy for my Scrivener backups since this service seems to ignore the resource fork in files?

Michael

Scrivener doesn’t use a resource fork, no. .scriv files are nothing more than simple folders with a dot in their name which only look and act like files when Scrivener has registered the .scriv extension with the system.
Best,
Keith

An alternate solution to this, in case you’re paranoid about losing any Mac-specific data with Mozy:

PREPARATION (you only need to do this once)

• Create a folder somewhere called “Scriv Backups” or something similar

• Add this folder to your Finder windows sidebar

• In your Mozy preferences, add this folder to the backup list (i.e. so that Mozy always backs up the contents of the folder)

IMPLEMENTATION (you do this each time you use Scriv)

• Whenever you finish a session, select “Backup Project To…” from the File menu, and make sure you have “Backup as ZIP file” ticked at the bottom of the dialogue box

• Save this backup to the “Scriv Backups” folder (this is why you put it in the sidebar, so you can reach it from within a dialogue box with one click)

The next time Mozy runs, it will back up the contents of this folder. Because they’re ZIP files, Mozy will handle them no problem, and if you have to restore from your Mozy backup, all the resource forks and other Mac-specific data should be intact when you decompress the ZIP file.

You’ll want to periodically clean out the folder, as the dated backup naming convention Scriv uses means old backups won’t be overwritten (but this is a good thing!).

It takes a little bit more work, but this is the easiest way to use Mozy for such backups and be sure your data is intact.

Thanks, Antony. As it turns out I had been doing this anyways, I just didn’t know where the resource fork became an issue.

Do you suppose OmniGraffle files would be at risk, does this mean I should go the extra step of zipping them, or just go with Jundle Disk?

http://www.jungledisk.com/

Personally, even if using something that preserves Mac-specific metadata (I’m assuming Jungledisk does?), I still ZIP or .SIT files before backing them up.

It saves on storage space; ensures there’s no chance of the metadata being lost somewhere along the way; and protects against cases where an upload service won’t recognise or upload a package properly. I don’t know about OmniGraffle, but OmniOutliner, for example, uses a similar “folder disguised as a file” format as Scriv. It’s not always easy to tell.

I use Scriv’s built-in ZIP functionality, of course, but I also have a DropStuff droplet on my desktop for apps that don’t have any equivalent functionality. Final Draft files, for example, I just drag onto the droplet; it’s set to create a .SIT file on the desktop, which I can then upload straight to my backup ftp space.

My backup methods do require a little manual work, but personally I prefer it that way - fully automated methods make me nervous, and I always end up double-checking they worked, which kind of defeats the point of them.

To each his own. I prefer fully automated methods because I can’t forget either an intermediate step or the backup itself. If a tool can’t be trusted then it isn’t really fully automated.

Along the same lines, a Mac backup solution that ignores resource forks is broken as designed and therefore not trustworthy for critical data.

Katherine

True enough, but I should probably emphasise that I’m talking only about backing up individual document files, not things like address book and calendar databases. Those I leave entirely up to Mozy. And Plaxo. And, now, Time Machine.

Yeah, I’m a little paranoid about data loss :wink:

Thanks, Antony, for the step-by-step description of your backup plan. I just created the same system. I already had the free version of Mozy backing up all my documents but this makes me feel yet more secure. I also burn a backup CD (docs, Mail, address book, settings, website content, a few others) every few weeks. Nice to have an archive in case I try to open a doc or project and find it corrupted – and also find that the most recent backup is corrupted because maybe I didn’t open it and discover the corruption until the backup was overwritten by a corrupted version.

I’m getting a big external hard drive for my birthday (nerd alert!), which I’ll use for music files and also yet another repository for backups – maybe even a clone of my PowerBook hard drive, when I get Leopard and Time Machine.

So with Mozy, CDs, and the external drive, maybe my data will actually be safe. And I hear that Google may be finally offering the long-awaited Gdrive soon…

Actually, that’s not “my” backup plan - as I said in the post afterwards, I personally just manually ZIP or .SIT everything and upload it to a private ftp space. But I’m glad you found the suggestion useful! :slight_smile: