Doesn't recognize my updated version

I had been working with a beta trial version. I purchased an updated version at end of beta trial, and used it successfully yesterday. (At least, I think I was using the updated version)
Today, when I try to log on I get “don’t have permission to access/scrivenerforwindows on this server.” I also get message “a 404 NotFound error encountered while trying to use an Error Document to handle request.”
I don’t know what any of this means. I have a lot of work in my project file that I thought was successfully transferred over to the purchased version, but now I’m not sure. I have the day set aside for writing, but now can’t get to my ms. Very frustrated, please help asap.

I am receiving a similar error message under the same circumstances. I’ve been using the Trial Version, and I just bought the program and now my projects won’t open.

My error message reads: Project _______ is incompatible with this version of Scrivener.

Help is appreciated!

First off, the projects never have to be transferred; they’re just files on your disk like Word documents that you just open via the program, and they’ll remain on your computer whether or not Scrivener is still installed or upgraded or what have you. So you don’t need to worry about needing to do anything complicated to move work from one version of the program to another.

The fastest solution here is probably just to reinstall 1.0; it doesn’t sound as though it was properly installed the first time. First locate your projects–probably saved in your Documents folder, if you stuck with the default option, but if you’re not sure where to find them, try doing a Windows search for “.scriv” and then checking the file path on the results. So long as you haven’t somehow saved these inside the Scrivener directory, the uninstall won’t affect these, but it’s not a bad idea to make a backup of them all the same; just right-click the project’s .scriv folder and choose “Send to / compressed (zipped) file”.

Once you’ve done that, uninstall Scrivener, either by running the uninstall.exe file in the Scrivener directory or via Windows’ Control Panel (either Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs, depending on your OS version). Then run the 1.0 installer–if you need to download this again, you can get it from here. Once you’ve gone through that, you can launch Scrivener and when the trial box comes up, just click “Enter Licence…” to put in your serial name and number from your receipt and register the program.

This is a different issue, and one you should be able to correctly pretty quickly; it sounds like one of the files in the project just didn’t close properly. First thing, make a copy of your project’s entire .scriv folder, just for safety’s sake. Then, try these steps:

1. In Windows Explorer, open your project’s .scriv folder, then open the Files folder
  2. Open the “version.txt” file there in a plain-text editor (e.g. Notepad)
  3. In the editor, select all, type “16” (no quotes), then save

Then try opening the project again in Scrivener.