Don McCallister's video OUTSTANDING!

I was trying to decide if Scrivener would be too complicated to learn while at the same time compiling loads of research. Don McCallister provided an easy to understand video, providing any user enough information to easily and ambitiously begin a project. I am going to watch it several times.
Now, a few questions:

1. What is the difference between folders and just starting with text .docs, so to speak, inside each other?
  2. When adding .jpgs/.PNG/.PDF files, does that drastically increase file size?
  3. ARE these typically huge files? (Research… Graphics)
  4. Does anyone use MyPCBackup.com ?

Many thanks already! I’ve been reading a lot, and this is a most helpful group!
Liebly

There are just a few; most projects are set up to treat folders as placeholders for “CHAPTER 1” type headers, and won’t produce any other text themselves the way text documents typically will. Note that folders can be treated just like a text document though; it just takes more fiddling with compile settings. Also, folders are treated by defaults as “containers”, so clicking on one will usually pop you into corkboard or outline mode. This can be changed in your preferences though.

Otherwise, folders can be treated just like files, but in so doing, you may be complicating the process of getting a compiled manuscript out of Scrivener.

Adding .jpgs/.PNG/.PDF files to a project will increase the project by the size of each of those files. Scrivener makes a copy of these files when importing them and stores those copies internally.

Research and graphics files are the size they are depending on content, quality, and sometimes, on the programs that produce them. There’s no definitive answer to this kind of question. It just depends.

No. :wink:
I’m sure someone does, but I don’t, and haven’t run across it. My first impulse is to caution you not to use it as a way to syncronize your projects across multiple computers; it probably isn’t designed to handle Scrivener’s rapid auto-saving routines that keep your writing safe.

Don’t complicate things too much at the start. Think of folders as simply for organisation of sections or chapters.

If you are bringing in images from web sites then they are usually quite small. If you are bringing in high res images for high res printing within the piece of writing you are working on then they may increase the size significantly.

You have not said what kind of writing you are doing - it would help to know.