Double enter to single enter

I’ve had Scriv for awhile, but only just begun using the format templates that come with it. Usually I just make my own. Now I’m messing around with the novel ms one and I have a question. Is it possible to make the format read a double enter press as a single enter press?

For example, I tend to write in Scrivener the same way I write on a web page–no indents, a blank space between paragraphs. The novel ms format takes care of indenting and spacing and all of that for me (which is brilliant, by the way) but now I want to know if it can handle my returns as well? Can I continue typing as I always do, but make the program save the pdf with only one return where I use two?

I tried to poke around with the settings myself but I didn’t see anything that looked like what I wanted. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

(Just as a PS: I love this freaking program like whoa. It has made me a better writer!)

Hi Seth,

Thanks for the kind words. No, there’s no way to remove double returns between paragraphs - that would be quite difficult as in some circumstances within the same document you would want them retained. Instead, the idea is that you do the opposite (sort of). You can use single-spacing while writing that looks like double-spacing, if you set your default text format up so that it has paragraph spacing of a line between each paragraph. That way, hitting return after each paragraph leaves a blank line, but it is just padding - so you have the same visual distinction, but it doesn’t add any real extra space so can be reformatted in Compile easily enough.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the answer, how do I go about doing that. Text>spacing, or is that the wrong place?

(Note: I can’t check my laptop atm to give you the specific terms.)

You see on the ruler where you can pick the line spacing? If you pick the “Options”-type option in the drop-down menu, you can set paragraph spacing, too.

Yeah, I found that. I was just wondering if there was a way to make the format stick. Every time I had a new text file in the folder I have to redo, so I’ve just been duplicating a bunch of them.

You need to do it in the Preferences - Scrivener > Preferences - Text Editing pane. Set up the default formatting so that there is paragraph spacing between. E.g. Click on the “Spacing” pop-up in the text box in the Text Editing Preferences pane, select “Other…” and enter a paragraph spacing before value of 12. Then be sure you hit “OK” or “Apply” before you close the Preferences window. This will affect the formatting for any new documents you create. (To change existing documents, select them in the binder and go to Documents > Convert > Formatting to Default Style.)

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Awesome, thanks. Just one more question. Will that method apply to all projects, or just the one I have open?

Yes, all projects (more technically, all new documents, as you add new documents to older projects). Think of that setting as a generator for all new items, no matter what project they are in.