double file

Some how I now have two copies of the same project and both have a message on them that says:

While the project was opening, files were detected within the project package that do not exist in the binder. This may have been caused by a permissions conflict, in which the file system refused the deletion of files from inside the .scriv package that had been deleted from the project binder, or by synchronization between different versions of the project.

The recovered files can be found in the “_Recovered Files” folder at the bottom of the binder.

Scrivener attempts to recover such files whenever a project is opened. To disable this behaviour for a project, hold down the Option key while the project is opening. If file recovery is disabled, holding down the Option key on open will re-enable it.

I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE DONE WORK ON ONE FILE SINCE THE PROBLEM BEGAN BUT COULD OF WORKED ON BOTH, SO NOW THEY ARE OUT OF SYNC WITH EACH OTHER. NO MAJOR AMOUNT OF WORK DONE ON ONE OF THE FILES THOUGH. THE OTHER ONE HAS A LITTLE BIT MORE.

HOW DO I GO ABOUT EITHER COMBINING THEM OR GETTING RID OF ONE OF THEM ENTIRELY.

You can delete an obsolete project file like you would delete any other file. Just move it to the trash from Finder. If you want to merge them first (probably unnecessary since you are describing a case where the two projects are essentially identical save for a little work in one), use File/Import/Scrivener Project for the best results.