Down sizing graphics in Scrivener.

Is there a way to downsize images (filesize) automatically in Scrivener?

I’m creating an e-graphic novel and I’m finding two problems. The epubs are huge (and .mobi’s are larger) and one-piece drawn pages tend to get split over two pages.

I can make my e-versions in Kindle comic creator, but I have less flexibility there…

(Thanks for any help!)

I am not sure if this is what you mean, but there is a flag in the Layout compile option pane, Downsize and resample inline images to visible size. That may require a little experimentation based on the native size of the image, and you’ll need to be aware that it is limited in a sense by your Mac’s native display resolution. That means you might choose 600pts wide, expecting a 72 DPI image (thus 600 pixels wide, a commonly recommended width for full-size images in e-books), but if you compile on a Retina Mac you’ll get a 144 DPI image, meaning an 1200 pixel graphic.

Really though, for something like this I would recommend sizing images using a proper image editing tool. You will most often get better quality in doing so, and more direct control over the image size. Consider using image links in Scrivener, instead of fully embedding them into the text files. This will not only keep the project size down, it will mean a folder of graphics used during compile, and that means easy access with editing tools and the ability to run macros on many images.

As for the rest, I don’t know how easy it will be to make what you are trying to make, there may be some guides on the ’net with tips for making graphic novels in ePub and non-Comic Kindle. As far as I know the technical limitations with a format designed entirely around the assumption of displaying long blocks of text, rather than a long string of images images, is what compelled Amazon to make a special format just for comics. One big difference between the two might be the capability of displaying the full graphic from one edge of the display to the other—whereas constructing the e-book like a novel, but with images instead of text, you may find it impossible to escape the sometimes generous margin area placed between the text and the edge of the display on many Kindles.