Download Wordpress into Scrivener

I use Scrivener for short-form writing (ie my blog). A new project for every post gets filled with snippets from around the web and whatever scribblings I can think of plus drafts and eventually, a finished product. As a film critic/blogger, even just pulling in the full cast and crew from a film on imdb has been a lifesaver!

But enough about that, let’s get technical.

Now that 2009, my first year on the new blog, has ended, I’d like to line up all the posts and see what I’ve gotten myself into. Ideally, I’d like to download all the text from the site and bring each post into Scrivener as a separate document. Gina Trapani describes how she did this with Devonthink in writing the Lifehacker book:

lifehacker.com/228215/geek-to-li … ok-part-ii

She’s a bit cloudy on how exactly she got the text into the app, but she’s a dev so it sounds like she whipped up a script or two that require a whole lot of elbow grease. I’m curious if anyone has successfully done anything like this with Scrivener. I’ve downloaded the Wordpress XML document, but to parse it out appears much easier said than done.

So, ideas? Solutions? The goal, once again, is to have a 2009 project with the published version of my blog. Can’t wait to hear what you all have to say on the matter. Thanks.

One way you can do it is to import your blog into Scrivener as a web page (File > Import > Web Page). You may have to do this for multiple pages, depending on how many blog posts you have made over the year and how many will fit on a single web page. Once the web pages are in Scrivener, you can convert them to text using Documents > Convert > Web Page to Text (this will be easier in 2.0, which allows you to convert multiple documents at once, rather than one at a time, and which will also retain images - currently they get lost during this process). You could then use cmd-K (Documents > Split) to split up the different pages of your blog into separate documents.

This is just off the top of my head, though - I haven’t had chance to look at the Lifehacker link as I have guests on the way (preparing for New Year). There may be better ways.

All the best,
Keith