downloading new version

Didn´t have the nerve to ask this technically illiterate question - but when I try to download the new version of Scrivener I get a message saying it doesn´t have permission to write to the application. I´ve used my mac password when it asks me for my pass word - should I have another one? (Still have my serial number from when I bought Scrivener, should this be needed.) I´ve dragged Scrivener into aplications about five times - perhaps this is the problem? Help! Thank you - Rose Vivian

It sounds like you are talking about the automatic update.

I am not sure why you are getting permission problems (yes, the password it asks for will be your administrator password for your computer), so perhaps you should try downloading the file directly from the website, and then just dragging it into applications - this should write over the top of the existing one as well.

If that doesn’t work, I’m sure someone else will be along with a better solution.

Matt

Is the account you are using to update scrivener an administrator account? You can check this by going to System Preferences -> Account. Is the word admin is not under you account name then your password won’t work. You will need the password for an account that has admin under the name.

Let me know if that doesn’t make sense.

thank you both so much for your help. Yes, downloading again worked, and I now have the new version (Scrivener alias4, but I can live with that!) And yes, I was /am the system administrator - it didn´t seem to impress the dialogue box much, tho. thank you both for rescuing me so quickly, very best wishes, Rose

Does the icon have a little arrow in the lower left corner? If so you are not installing the app correctly. You want to copy the app to the applications folder, not make an alias (pointer) to the app. Let us know if you need instruction on how to do that.