DRAFT/MANUSCRIPT in binder

First, I have to say again what a huge fan of Scrivener I am. I now do all my writing in Scrivener, and recommend it long and loud to all fellow Mac users who write.

One flaw for me is the DRAFT section in the binder and revisions. When I write (long novels), I need to revise. This doesn’t mean I take Chapter 10 and rewrite it and there it is, Chapter 10 in the binder, only updated, neat and tidy.

What I do is much messier, and I work with the old and new side by side. Only it all ends up in that section of the binder, so when it comes to word counts, compiling et al, I have to shift all the old material elsewhere - into Research, in fact, where it sits uneasily among all my background material, character pages, plotlines and the rest.

So I’d love to be able to have a third section in the binder, a kind of second DRAFT, maybe called FINAL, which contains the revised version as it builds up.

I usually end up opening a new Project file, called Revised Version or whatever, and dumping the final version in that, uncluttered by the rest of the stuff, but it’s a hassle, and means I have to go backwards and forwards between the two, and copy across the Research section… you get the picture.

Hi,

There are actually a couple of ways you can do this already:

1. For the parts you don’t want to include in word counts or get printed or exported as part of the new or actual draft, just uncheck “Include in Draft” in the Manuscript.

2. Or, just create two folders inside the Draft folder - one for the old draft, one for the new. Then in Compile Draft, you can use “Choose Folder…” to choose the folder that should actually be the draft and get compiled. The project statistics etc will only count the folder set to be compiled.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Or the third way is to create a folder at the same level as the Draft and Research folders, and put your older version in that … it won’t be included in the Draft, therefore not in the word count, or be included in compilation.

I’m not concerned about word count normally, but as I want to keep original copies of translations that I’m editing, I do that. Then when I’m completely finished with that particular text or set of texts, I create a suitably-named folder in Research, which contains two folders called “Original” and “Edited” and move the two versions into the appropriate one of those, so that they are accessible still, but out of the way of work in progress.