Drag and drop and document hierarchy

I searched the posts and did not find this one. I dragged a group of documents and subdocuments from one project to another. It transferred everything, but it did not maintain the hierarchy. All of the top level folders appeared below the subfolders and everything was on the same level. I was able to drag everything back in order, but it seems there should be a better way. If I’m doing something wrong, please show me the error of my ways.

On a related note, is there any way to transfer all of the label and status settings from one project to another? I have a rather long list with various colors and at this point, the only way I can see to do this is to manually recreate them. This will get old if I have to do it for every new project. Again, it may be a lack of enlightenment on my part.

Thanks for the help.

Ed

Hi Ed,

The drag and drop between projects should work as you expect; that’s a bug that’s been noted. As far as the labels, those don’t transfer between projects, but if you’re using the same ones repeatedly you might want to just set up your own project template with those in place and then create your new projects from the template. The easiest way to do this is probably to take the project that’s already set up how you want things, then make a copy of it with “Save As” and delete all the documents and whatnot that you don’t want as part of the template–things that are specific to that project. Templates will save all the documents in the binder, so if you have some “template” sheets there you want or an example hierarchy–the way you get in the Novel template, for instance–you may want some items there, but you wouldn’t want your entire manuscript and all the research pertaining just to that project.

Once you have things set up how you’d want them to appear for a new project, choose File>Save As Template… You can type in a name and description for your template and choose the category. (Note that at the moment, templates won’t appear properly if saved to “Miscellaneous,” but any of the others should be fine.) Then when you go to create a new project, this custom template with all your label settings, etc. will be available in the template chooser. (You may need to refresh the category by clicking to another one and back before the template appears in it.) You can of course then just further customize the project further once you’ve created the new project from it, just as you would any other project.

Once you’ve done the “Save As Template,” you can close and delete the copy of the project that you made to set up the template, since you won’t need that anymore.