Drag-and-drop file importing, please!

Unless I’m missing something, I can’t just drag a document (e.g… a JPG) from my desktop into the research folder, I have to use File --> Import --> Files, which feels a bit archaic these days.

Pretty please could we have drag-and-drop file importing?

Ben

And I’m posting this as a separate comment as it would just be the icing on the cake … drag-and-drop of a photo on a webpage directly into the Scrivener research folder!

I just dragged the ‘coffee cup on a book’ image (see the top of this page) directly into my research folder. I’m reasonably sure that’s been a core feature since before the official public release of Scriv for Windows (and Mac, for that matter).

Doesn’t work here: ver 2.3.1 on a Mac (OSX 10.8.2).

When I try it, the image just snaps straight back to the webpage.

Try visiting Scrivener->Preferences->Import/Export. There are options there the may be on by default, which are preventing this from working for you. I didn’t mess with those settings, that I’m aware of, so it’s odd that you’re experiencing something different. The only time it doesn’t work is when I try to drag into my Draft folder; then images spring back into the browser after the drag.

This is working for me as well, naturally it won’t work into Draft, but if I’m dragging an image out of a web page, or an image I’m viewing individually, into either a text document or a non-Draft area of the binder, I get an imported graphic.

Something to keep in mind is that not every browser actually outputs image data when you drag a graphic out. I have no problems with Firefox, which exports resources out of a web page using the raw bytes of whatever that resource may be. Some browsers just provide a URL, or stranger things.

I’ve checked the preferences and can’t see anything there that would prevent it working.

I’m using Safari, which drags photos as JPGs or PNGs, whichever format they are in on the webserver. I can drag the coffee cup icon to my desktop as a PNG, but it won’t drag into the research folder of Scrivener.

What version of Safari are you using? I just did a test with 6.0.2 and got a graphic file when dropping an image to research. I did notice that if the graphic is linked to anything, then Scrivener grabs the URL before the image data and imports the linked-to web page—so in those cases you’d have to right-click and view the graphic individually before dragging. But for normal graphics it seemed to work fine.

Same as you: 6.0.2, and I tested with a photo from my own website (that I know for sure is a JPG and not a link) and it doesn’t work: just springs back to Safari as soon as you release it.

Hmm, that should be working—I just tried in 2.3.1 to verify it isn’t a beta release thing. Incidentally I was testing off of our homepage, dragging the screenshots from this location. I tried with the top image and it worked fine after a second of downloading. The Dock icon bounced and it appeared in Research as “screens-std”, with an image media icon.

Could you open up the Console application and monitor that for any error messages? If you don’t know where that is, it is easiest to use the Go menu in Finder to load “Utilities”. You’ll see the icon there. Copy and paste any messages from Safari or Scrivener that you get.

Will do. I’ll also use the same images as you to be 100% sure.

Ok, tried those screenshots and same thing - they just snap back to Safari and nothing is added to the research folder.

Here are the only console entries at roughly the time I tried this:

05/12/2012 23:49:07.294 com.apple.backupd[89274]: Using file event preflight for Mac 1
05/12/2012 23:49:26.425 mdworker[90391]: Unable to talk to lsboxd
05/12/2012 23:49:26.000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(90392) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd
05/12/2012 23:49:27.238 sandboxd[90392]: ([90391]) mdworker(90391) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
05/12/2012 23:49:28.080 mdworker[90390]: Unable to talk to lsboxd
05/12/2012 23:49:28.902 sandboxd[90392]: ([90390]) mdworker(90390) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
05/12/2012 23:51:09.116 com.apple.mtmd[36]: stat on /Users/XXXX/.dropbox/finderplugin/l/50924a77: No such file or directory

Unfortunately those messages are all from other programs, so that doesn’t provide any clues. I would tentatively suggest that Safari/WebKit is the culprit here. I searched Apple’s discussion boards and came across a number of cases where image drag and drop out of Safari stops working spontaneously between some or all programs.

Odd. Drag-and-drop works to the desktop and to other apps, just not to Scrivener.

I tried the sleep and guest accounts experiments mentioned in your links, and neither made any difference.

Are you using the Mac App Store version of Scrivener? “mdworker” and “sandbox” are related to sandboxing. The App Store version of Scrivener is sandboxed - it has to be sandboxed as Apple now require that of App Store apps - and this looks as though the OS X sandbox is refusing permissions in this case. I’m not sure why that would be, though - I just dragged the same images from Safari into Scrivener using the App Store sandboxed version and it worked fine.

I can’t recall for sure whether I bought it direct from your site or from the App store. Is there a way I can check?

Go the “Scrivener” menu. If you see “Registration…” and “Check for Updates…” there, you are using our version. If not, you are using the Mac App Store version.
All the best,
Keith

Ok, then it’s your version.

In fact when I did my earlier verification test I used the MAS version and Safari as well, just to make sure that wasn’t the problem.

Can you verify if Firefox works?

Tried in both Firefox and Chrome (as well as from the desktop) and it doesn’t work with any of them.