drag & drop on corkboard

Hi all – I am unable to drag and drop index cards on the corkboard. That vertical line between the cards doesn’t appear when I drag something between it. I have been able to do this in the past and don’t know what I’ve done to change it.

Thanks for your help.

I’m willing to take a bet that you are looking at an “arbitrary” corkboard - if it says something like “Multiple Selection” in the header view, then that is the case. You get this when you select multiple items in the binder. In this case, dragging is disabled. Consider the following scenario. In the binder:

Item 1
Item 2
Item 3
Item 4
Item 5

You select items 1, 4 and 5, which are displayed as index cards on the corkboard. Then, on the corkboard, you drag Item 5 between items 1 and 4. Huh, where should it be dropped? After Item 1, after Item 2, or before Item 4? Scrivener has no idea. This is even more complicated when items of different levels are displayed. Thus, in this situation, dropping is disabled.

(Actually, in 1.1 and the new beta, dragging and dropping is allowed, but it has no effect on the actual structure in the binder, only upon how they are displayed in the corkboard.)

Hope that makes sense.
All the best,
Keith

Oh, I think that makes sense. I’ll fool with it.
Thanks, Keith.