Drag in-line image and Drop to create research image file

Hi,

The ability to drag an inline image and drop it into the binder, outside of the Draft branch (Research & sibling folders of Draft). This creates a copy of the in-line image as a separate file in the Scrivener project (It’s own PNG file).

This emulates the Edit > Insert > Image From File capability except the source of the image data is the bitmap stored in the RTF.

The major benefit is to do with content processing; as sources of content are imported as a single RTF (with in-line images) the process of working with that information (Text and in-line images) is not efficient.

For example: The process of creating a “How-to” starts with a dump of the actions taken (text) and screen shots (the whole screen). This all-in-one document, usually done by the subject matter expert, is a single document that needs to be edited. This includes image handling, where you have the original screen shot and several edited versions you could choose from to include in the final compiled product. The requested feature is aimed at saving time to migrate the in-line image out to be a separate file in the research folder/siblings of Draft folders. Right now an in-line image has to extracted from an exported copy of the RTF document; where dealing with many images is a nightmare using the export feature, repetitively.

It looks like Keith has a tagging solution on the way for <$img: {…}>.
Excellent. See https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/image-placeholder-tag/17495/1

When the requested feature is combined with Keith’s solution; Scrivener would then make working with images a productive and efficient experience due to the text content being distilled (from the images) and still compile both into a final product easily.

Kind regards,
John.

Would the existing command Edit -> Append Selection to Document -> New accomplish what you want?

Implicit in your suggestion seems to be the idea that Scrivener would convert the image from the RTF bitmap into a more portable format. I don’t see that happening anytime soon, because image format conversion is a large can of worms by itself. But if what you want is to simply extract the images into their own files, the above command might be useful.

Katherine

Sorry, I thought I’d replied to this… Actually, this is something the Mac version can already do, because the Mac’s built-in editor allows for dragged images from text to be placed on the pasteboard as files/image data. I’m not sure how easy that will be to achieve in the Windows version, but I have brought it to the attention of Lee, the Windows developer.

All the best,
Keith

Sorry to divert the subject a bit, rather than opening a new thread. I am an avid user of Mac and use Scrivener to hold my lab notebook. I write text within the draft folder and insert images in text (within the Draft folder, my research folder is empty). Today, I copied the file to my PC and opened it with Scrivener for windows. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find my images or embedded PDF files anymore. :frowning:

A little more on my work-flow:
I use MacJournal for my daily “calendar-dated” entries and insert the images in text as well as PDF files and other MS Office files. During the weekend, I copy all the entries for the week (with the inline images, PDF, Word or Excel file) and past it in Scrivener by cmd-A and cmd-C each entry.

So far everything is working like a charm. But the fact the these files were lost on windows made me think if this is the correct way to do it? I mean if I delete all the MacJournal files, can I still retain the embedded images and files in Scrivener (at least on my Mac)?

Many thanks.

Scrivener projects stand alone. That is, once you import a file into Scrivener, it exists independent of the original source. You can delete your MacJournal files safely. (Although of course a backup is always a good idea when doing something this destructive.)

As for why the images and PDFs didn’t show up in the Windows version, I suspect it’s due to the different import capabilities in the two versions. For example, the Mac version can convert a PDF to editable text, while the Windows version can’t. Try moving these files to the Research portion of the Binder and see what happens.

Katherine

Thank you very much for your reply, however I have moved the existing project which I was working on in Lion to Windows and opened it there, so basically I should expect the images and embedded files to already be in the project’s bundle but Windows somehow failed to display them. Can you please indicate where should I look for these images and embedded files in the project’s bundle (folder) on Windows?

I just want to re-emphasize my question, when I make a copy/past from MacJournal entries into Scrivener project, is this the same as insert > image in Scrivener? Or does Scrivener only link to where MacJournal is storing these images and files.

Appreciating your kind support.

Best

As I said in my original response, Scrivener projects stand alone. If you paste into a Scrivener project, then you have created an independent copy of the material and can safely delete the original.

(With the exception of links in the Reference pane, which are explicitly identified as links.)

Your difficulty in viewing the files in Windows is a separate issue. As I suggested, one thing to try would be to move the images and PDFs into the Research folder, which can display a few file types that the Draft folder can’t.

Katherine

So, I did what you asked me. I moved the entire page (containing the images and PDF files) to the Research folder. Nothing appeared there (assuming I don’t have these images or PDF files on the Windows machine, actually I don’t want to edit these files on Windows, I just want to have them handy at my work’s PC).

One another thing which I have noticed, the images which I embedded within the Scrivener’s project from Scrivener insert menu are appearing with no problem on Windows platform, however only the ones which I copied / pasted from MacJournal are not appearing.

Thank you for your patience and wish you a wonderful day.

Hmm. That would indicate that the MacJournal images are in a different format, which Scrivener (Win) has trouble with.

Would it be possible to send a copy of the project (or a sample project demonstrating the problem) to windows.support@literatureandlatte.com? Put my name in the subject line so I’ll be sure to see it.

Katherine

I’ve seen something like this happen to me, and it had to do with dragging from Firefox’s window into a scrivener document. Somehow that was allowed, even though the source file for the image was outside of the Scrivener project. When my browser’s temp files were cleared out, that image disappeared from the Scrivener project.

Is it possible that the OP is experiencing something similar, where the original files are on another computer, and not in the project that was transferred to another computer?