Dragging copies of texts to other folders

I needed to work on several different variations of the same text, and tried option-dragging some texts into other folders I had set up for the purpose, expecting to get a copy, as one would in many other cocoa apps, but only succeeded in dragging the texts from A to B.

Duplicating the files and then dragging them works, but it also appends the name with “copy-1” etc., which I then have to drag to its destination and rename, all of which makes this simple task more cumbersome than it needs to be.

So … can you please consider implementing option-dragging text (or folder) copies. Thanks Keith!

Rollo

Option-dragging already has a function in Scriv; it prevents dragged files from being dropped ‘into’ other files, so you can maintain them at the current level of heirarchy without accidents. Personally I find this very useful, and it outweighs the inconvenience of having to rename the odd duplicate text.

You do know you can duplicate entire folders (and text containers), right? And in doing so, only the folder/container title itself is appended; the duplicates created within the folder/container keep their original names.

Thanks for that. I can absolutely see the point of what you’re suggesting. My only concern is that it is inconsistent with other OS-X apps, from the finder onwards, where option-dragging copies the file to the new destination.

Rollo

Actually, there are plenty of Apple’s own apps that don’t follow it. Alt-dragging doesn’t make duplicates of songs or playlists in iTunes; nor of images in Preview; nor of pictures in iPhoto, messages in Mail, or tabs in Safari. I agree it’s a common shortcut, but it’s not universal.

No Alt-dragging doesn’t, but option-dragging does in many instances. I use it all the time in Mail, let’s say someone sends me an invoice attached to an email. I have a folder for expenses, so I option-drag a copy of the message into that folder. When I need to submit my expenses I print out all the copies contained in that folder. Job done.

Perhaps it isn’t universal, but it is widely used from the finder onwards, and it works in other apps that operate using a similar metaphor to Scrivener.

Rollo

Simple Duplicate is what you want. The Opt-dragging behaviour (Alt-dragging is the same as Opt-dragging) won’t change in Scrivener.
Best,
Keith

You’re right about alt-dragging being the same as option-drag! If it’s not going to happen, then it’s not going to happen. Simple duplicate is NOT what I want, however, but it looks like it’s what I’ll have to live with.

Rollo

Simple Duplicate (as opposed to Duplicate) copies the file without changing the file name. You can then drag it to the required destination. It is only one more keyboard shortcut away from what you wanted, unless I misunderstood the suggestion.

OK Keith. Please forgive me, I hadn’t twigged that the option existed until you mentioned it, nor how it differed from duplicate. I am very happy with that workaround. Thanks. Problem as good as solved!

Rollo

That’s probably because “Simple Duplicate” is about as descriptive as “brown wood”. In the next update there is a Duplicate submenu in the Documents menu with “with Subdocuments and Unique Title” (the current Duplicate) and “without Subdocuments” (the current Simple Duplicate). In general I’ve tried to make the menus in the next update a lot more descriptive but more simple (less cluttered), too. I realised that even I could never remember what “Open as Index Card Stack In” in the View menu did which prompted a lot of reshuffling, renaming and simplifying. I’m not overly happy with the way the menus are in 1.11, but in the next update - 1.5 - I think it’s much closer to cracking it.
Best,
Keith

These things always take an enormous amount of work, living with the result, then having eureka moments when you suddenly see how to do something better. I appreciate your thoughts.

Rollo