dropbox sync gives me blank project files?

I’ve just come back to the software after a break. I had been using the app on my ipad almost exclusively for some time, but now need to work on my (windows 10) desktop . I successfully set up and synced my scriv files to dropbox using all the defaults (apps folders, etc).

When I open the Dropbox app on my desktop, my scriv files are there in the apps/scrivener folder where they should be. I click the scrivx file I need, “save as” in the correct folder on my Windows hard drive, and then navigate to open the file in Scrivener. I then get an error message saying the file Im trying to open is in an old format …

scriv error after dropbox sync.PNG

; it then says its converting the file. Seems to complete successfully… but then when I open the file…Project has no contents.

Ive done this with all 11 of the projects on my ipad and it all seems to go perfectly until I open the project file in Scriv on my desktop to find it has no contents.

What have missed/am doing wrong?

Apparently iOS is V3 and Windows is V2 and since the projects were all created new on the ipad, they simply wont work on Windows. Is that correct? How do I resolve this?

You can’t open the Dropbox app on your PC. It runs in the background and has created a Dropbox folder on your HD. Are you using the web interface? Don’t!

Navigate to the dropbox/apps/scrivener on your HD and simply double-click the .scrivx file. Or start Scrivener, click Open and navigate to the dropbox/apps/scrivener folder and open your project.

thank for the advice, lunk.

I’m literally running the Dropbox app on my PC rn. “Dropbox for S Mode” is what Windows forced me to download. I am not using the web interface at all.

I do not see anywhere on my drive the Dropbox folder that would usually be there. I know what you are talking about as I have used Dropbox for close to a decade, but it’s just not there. There’s nothing in root; there’s nothing in Program Files (x86), there’s nothing under my user account.

When I search my drive for “Dropbox”, file explorer comes up empty even though I’m looking directly at the app on my screen.

Im going to try this again in the morning with my laptop. :frowning:

Interesting thread. I had no idea there that Dropbox ran differently on Windows 10 S mode.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/s-mode#:~:text=The%20Dropbox%20app%20for%2010,your%20device%20for%20offline%20access.

According to the info page above, Dropbox S mode does not actually store your files on your PC. Instead, they stay in the cloud and Dropbox brings them down as needed.

Unfortunately, Scrivener requires that all your project files are stored on your PC. As you’ve discovered, Scrivener projects will break when this is not the case.

So you can’t use Dropbox for syncing to this PC, unless you turn.off Windows 10 S mode and download the full Dropbox app, as stated in the page linked above.

Best,
Jim

Alternatively, it’s possible to download a zip archive of a folder via the Dropbox web interface.

However you accomplish it, though, you must get the entire .scriv folder onto the local system.

Katherine

"According to the info page above, Dropbox S mode does not actually store your files on your PC. Instead, they stay in the cloud and Dropbox brings them down as needed.

Unfortunately, Scrivener requires that all your project files are stored on your PC. As you’ve discovered, Scrivener projects will break when this is not the case."

Thanks Jim! Your reply not only made it clear WHY it’s not working, but gave me the exact solution! KUDOS! :smiley:

Gotcha! it makes perfect sense that this should be the case, but I was unaware of the cloud usage by Dropbox S Mode. Problem resolved!

Thanks!