eBook Cover art - Newbie Question

Okay I may of missed it in reading the manual and watching the videos. But I know a system as deverse and robust as Scrivener must have a way to do this.

How do I tie a Image that becomes the cover in ePub and Mobi?
I know there has to be a way. Here is what I want to do.

And when I look at it in my reader (iBooks for ePub and Kindle for Mobi). I want the Cover Image to be the cover in the bookcase or when you go to cover on the kindle. I don’t own a Nook but I believe it also has a Book cover flow system.

My guess would be something like so:

Manuscript Master Folder
Cover Image
Title Page
[Chapter Folders]

How do I flag the Cover in compile though?

Hi,

There’s a setting especially for this in Compile. Just import the image you want to use as the cover anywhere you want in the project (not in the Draft folder, of course, which won’t accept image files). Then, in Compile, when you select the .epub or .mobi formats, you will see in the list of options on the left that “Cover” appears. Click on it to see the cover options - there you can select your chosen image from a pop-up button, and select other options (such as “Include iTunes cover art for iBooks”, which you will want to tick if you wish the cover to look right in iBooks).

Hope that helps!

All the best,
Keith

P.S. You also might want to check out the video on creating e-books with Scrivener on our video tutorials page: literatureandlatte.com/video.php

:blush:

Oh man, its right there, I must of been doing something else while that video was playing
Sorry but thank you for putting up with silly questions

No problem! Questions that ask for stuff that’s already there are my personal favourite, as it means I don’t have to code anything extra - and especially questions that start with nice phrases such as “a system as deverse and robust as Scrivener”. :slight_smile:

Hi,

I am working through ‘How to…’ with cover art as well. In this case, how to compile a file for Amazon. I want to include a jpg cover - using import - so that I can then select it in the Compile process.

When I Import, I get to the directory - however jpg files are grayed out - so I cannot select the cover file. Oddly I can drag and drop, but am not sure where I should drop the file and whether that would then allow the cover selection in Compile.

[MacBook Pro environment].

Help sought!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

John Hindmarsh
Broken Glass - SF - when I get it onto Amazon, Smashwords, etc
www.JohnHindmarsh.com - which should be live by May 25th.

Hi,

Make sure the “Draft” folder and nothing in it is selected when you import, because the Draft folder is text-only and so you cannot import image files into it (excepting inline images into the text itself).

It’s up to you where you import the cover image other than this - you could add it to your Research folder, you could set up a special folder for it, or you could import it and drag it so that it’s above the Draft folder - entirely up to you. The “cover” setting in Compile gives you the option of selecting any image file that has been imported into the binder, so it doesn’t matter where.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

That works! Also, I dragged the jpg file into the binder above the ‘Manuscript’ folder and that worked as well.

Now to work out how to suppress everything being called Chapter nn - voyage of discovery!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

John Hindmarsh
Broken Glass - SF - when I get it onto Amazon, Smashwords, etc
www.JohnHindmarsh.com - which should be live by May 25th.